How Do You Check A Generator?

b40rt

Hi all

I lost all sparks on my B40, havnt had a chance to get into it but would like to know how to check the lucas generator.

Also are there any checks for Boyer systems ? How long do they last, it must be a least 10 years old. (Just had a look at the Boyer site and they have fault finding information) Any common problems ? Bad earth, plug cap ?

I get the occasional backfire when kicking it over, but can hold the plug and get nothing. The coil is quite old so I may change this as a matter of course.

I've tryed a couple of new plug to eliminate that, but have got no further.

Any pointers appreaciated

Ross

Edited by B40RT

Hi this may help, Not really sure of the electrics on bsa's but you can test by using a multi meter set for ohms, testing each of the wires with each other. you should have some resistance and no open circuits. you can also test with a meter set to volts DC testing from each wire to your frame as negative and kick the bike over you should see the meter read 6v or around 12v.

I hope this is of some use

Hi this may help, Not really sure of the electrics on bsa's but you can test by using a multi meter set for ohms, testing each of the wires with each other. you should have some resistance and no open circuits. you can also test with a meter set to volts DC testing from each wire to your frame as negative and kick the bike over you should see the meter read 6v or around 12v.

I hope this is of some use

Thanks for the info, will give a try.

Ross