250cc Or 280cc For A Beginner ?

Is there a big diffrence betveen 250cc and 280cc as a beginner... I have tried 250cc for a couple of years ago, and now i finally moved from mx to trial.

I bought a 280cc, but DAMN !!! .... it is difficult to get along with... and just hanging on to the handlebars is a full time job :P

Edited by DK_Fire

I moved from MX to Trials a few years ago and bought a new GG Pro 250 - Big mistake ! - the bike rode me !

I then moved to a Scorpa 125 4T - one of the very first in 04 - that brought my riding on no end ! then moved to a Beta 200 - and I'd agree - excellent bike.

From the Beta then to a Scorpa 250 2 stroke - again excellent for a novice - and now (and I'm no great rider !) a Beta 250.

Summary for me (especially from a MX background where throttle control is non existent, and I was a far better MX rider than I am a trials rider!) - Beta 200 or Scorpa (either 4T - the more recent 175, or 250 2T)

cheers

John

I think you are going to get very mixed responses from people on this one. it depends alot of you as a rider. If the 280 is too much for you then you may want to downsize. Is it a GasGas 280? they are renound for being pretty harsh but it would be possible to tone down your bike rather than go looking for a different one.

I have a 300, straight out the crate it was pretty nasty, but I stuck a flywheel weight on it and a 10T front sprocket and it calmed it down alot and made 1st gear usable in pretty much all sections.

every rider adapts to their bike though, and for most people, in my opinion would find a 125 restrictive after a short time.

I came off road bikes onto a beta 250 and had no problems but a few people on here seem to prefer 125's

let us know exactly what bike you have and we can tell you how to calm it down a bit.

All the best

Tom

GREAT with some qualified answers :P

I have a Gas Gas 280 03'.. I talked to a guy today who also recommended a weight on the fly wheel, i think i will go that way and try the diffrence.

I used to ride 450cc mx, BUT i know there is a big diffrence, and those who laugh of the "small" engines on trials should try it :o

They really kick ass...

Have you considered a slower throttle? They feel as tho you added a flywheel weight. Also how about using the clutch to control traction. I just finished a class with Ryan Young, and he had us riding through sections in first, second, and third while slipping the clutch the whole way through.

Have you considered a slower throttle? They feel as tho you added a flywheel weight. Also how about using the clutch to control traction. I just finished a class with Ryan Young, and he had us riding through sections in first, second, and third while slipping the clutch the whole way through.

That, and slip the clutch and drag your rear brake through a section.

hello,

I have also gone from mx to trials, well sort of! I have been messin about with mx bikes since i was bout 15 (now 23) And i have had and rode a whole host of bikes from 80cc's to 400cc's

I bought my first trials bike about 3 weeks ago, its a beta rev 3 250, 2001 I personally dont have a problem with the power at all, i have progressed alot in 3 weeks, But my preference in learing is to throw myself in the deep end and go from there, I have had a few tumbles down hills and made my bike do backflip whilst i leg it the other way but i am finding my limits and also finding my bikes limits,

Its probably the worst way of learning but it works for me,

I think it depends on how scared you are of faling of, Im more worried about breaking my bike than hurting myself lol!

But its def a beter sport than mx imo, I like the slow steady moves lots of balance, i also like taking my time rather than pounding round a track as fast as i can!

Does this help?? (probably not)

Everything helps.. My problem is not that i am scared of falling of the bike, that is many broken bones and titanium screws too late to say :-)

The issue was that when i practice my balance, bunny hops and other stuff i like to concentrate on that instead of just trying to hang on.

I have bought a slower throttle and a flywheel weight.... that helps alot !!! I also try to ride it on the clutch instead of the gas, it is a diffrent technic that i am used to, but i think learn by doing is working :-)

You could all so try fitting a head spacer as this will lower the compression and take a lot of the snap away....

What gearig are you running.????

10t front a 42t rear is a nice set up.....

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

got my monty bout 7 months ago took a little getting used to but glad i went for a 250 2t think if id brought a 125 ida been looking for the 250 within a month when i found my feet on it. just give it time and ya gonna get used to it

. helps for me that im ten mins from my practice ground and can use it 7 days a week :P