Electronic Ignition?

jaan

Jaan,

I've been in the same boat for a while, outside of Spain there is comparibly little support for the older Montesa, and I've found nothing Electronic Ignition wise, so I spoke to one of the UK Manufacturers a few months ago and their problem was they had no engine to use as a 'mule' to develop one. So, I loaned them one of mine in March, to hopefully develop a system, although it may take a while - they were very busy at the time, and priorities, etc. However, I will keep you all informed as to when the ideal hopefully comes to fruition, as it may remove one of the variables with the old Cota's occasional asma.

Until then, stick to the basics, clean and well adjusted points, with a condenser that hasn't been there for 20 yrs or even 2! Then set the timing accurately. So long as there are good earths on the relevant frame points, the ignition side should not be a problem. Mine starts fisrt kick always. It's really the Carb that can be its Achilles Heel!

Anyway, this is my first post after many months, nee, nearly years of 'observing' - never had anything to say really but felt this might ease your plight, so the 'City Fathers' may well contradict me, but that's my thoughts, for what it is worth!

Feel free to e-mail off-line for more details.

RMM

Jaan,

--- It's really the Carb that can be its Achilles Heel! ---

RMM

Yes, I know. Just a year ago I replaced the worn out slide, but obviously the body too is a little bit worn.

The only way seems to bore out the body and insert a sleeve and sleeve the slide too.

Perhaps it would be better to use some other carb, Keihin or Mikuni, even if it's not easy to mount them to 348?

Thank you "feetupfun"! Anyone has any experiences about this ignition?

It's really pity that Rex Caunt doesn't make his ignition for Montesa Cota 348, only for Bultacos:

http://www.rexcauntracing.com/pages/ig_bultaco.html

I have Rex's Ignition in my Suzuki T20 classic racer and it's excellent, absolutely the best ignition you can get!

Perhaps I'll wait for that Rex some day will make an ignition for my Montesa 348.

I just found out that BMZ however has an electornic ignition for 348. It seems to be the same as feetupfun found from France Trial Classic site, the price too is same 382 euros.

http://www.bmz.fr/achat/produit_details.ph...252&id=5294

However I have so good experiences in Rex Caunt's Ignition and his helpfulness that if Rex would make ignition for 348 I absolutely preferred it!