Drowned The Engine, What Next?

amcq46

Having had a very poor ride today at the Earl Shilton trial, I decided to wash the bike in the river, and I managed to find a section of river that was much deeper than usual [i guess all the rain should have been a clue!] and filled the airbox with water.

The engine was running when the airbox filled, but only at idle and it died instantly. I have emptied the airbox, dried the filter, drained the carb, taken the plug out and kicked it over [slowly at first incase it was full of water, which it wasn't] to clean it out. With a new plug it started after about 30 kicks, and I let it get warm and have run it up and down the road at half power to try and dry out any water remaining in the crank area. At this point it is running OK and no abnormal noises.

After that I have dropped the gearbox oil as this was showing signs of water [ATF was pink not red], and sprayed lots of WD40 down the plug hole with the piston at BDC and the bike leaning both left & then right to ensure the WD40 was going down both transfer ports in the hope that it would get down to the mains. Then I have slowly kicked teh engine over to distribute the WD40.

So the main question is .........What should I do next?

Is it OK to keep riding it or should I consider a top end strip down to inspect further?

Personally I'd ride it and hope.

No point spending on an unnecessary rebuild

You'll soon find out if there's any damage and riding it won't make any difference as long as you stop riding if you hear something untoward.

A top end strip down will reveal little as most potential damage will be to the bottom end, mains and or big end.

The important thing is you got the bike running quickly with the petrol/oil mixture washing over the important bearings.

I've had it go both ways, a fully submerged Sherco, drained off and running within 20 minutes never gave me any problems in the next couple of years. A drowned GasGas developed grumbly mains during the next trial, mains, big end, and gudgeon pin were replaced.

The quicker you get it running after the submersion the better, water washes the oil off the bright hot bearing surfaces immediately and starts corrosion. If it took you over an hour from submersion to re-start then you are probably looking at new bearings, under that, you may be lucky.

If the water was filthy then obviously, your luck will diminish.

Gear box is very unlikely to have suffered, you did the right thing changing the oil, change it again after the next trial to remove any residual water.

Wouldn't hurt to run a bit extra oil in your 2T mix next trial.

What he said....

How quickly did you get it running again? 30-60 min is what you should have aimed for. However just ride it and you'll find out at the next couple of trials either way.

Oh..... and check the reeds... even a little water back pressure will crack them!

Ralphy