First Bike Choice. Looking For Pointers

keta

Hi guys,

I am in the process of buying my first bike. I have ridden when I was a teenager but only used a RTX 125 from Bumpy and got onto smaller splats. Going up ramps backwards etcc. I was never allowed my own bike and in my first house didn't have room for one. Now I have a big garage and want to get into it. A little old now at 29 but it would be a nice way to destress!

I'm drawn to Gas Gas as I had a small play on one when I was younger and liked it. After the RTX though, which weighed a ton for me at 13, any prob would. A work colleague has offered me a Gas Gas 250 for

hi mate.

The bike from work sounds a bargain,go check it over,look for loose wheel bearings,check the breaks are fine(should be able to lock the disk with one finger),listen to the engine for any nasty nocks. Also have ago on it and go through all the gears if you can,theres many things to check for but i just think these are the basics.usually you would pay around 1000 pounds for a decent bike,so it sounds a good bargain mate.i think if you can ride a bike with gears,it would take a while to get used to the power of the things but once your used to it i think you would be sound,deffiently stick around the 250 range or higher,i think any lower and it would lack power for somone of your build,me being the same size build as you i ride a 290 and its fine.

hope this helps

jonny

hi mate.

The bike from work sounds a bargain,go check it over,look for loose wheel bearings,check the breaks are fine(should be able to lock the disk with one finger),listen to the engine for any nasty nocks. Also have ago on it and go through all the gears if you can,theres many things to check for but i just think these are the basics.usually you would pay around 1000 pounds for a decent bike,so it sounds a good bargain mate.i think if you can ride a bike with gears,it would take a while to get used to the power of the things but once your used to it i think you would be sound,deffiently stick around the 250 range or higher,i think any lower and it would lack power for somone of your build,me being the same size build as you i ride a 290 and its fine.

hope this helps

jonny

Thanks again Jonny mate. One finishes on Ebay tonight I may have a little punt on but I will check with the guy at work if I don't win it!

i ride a gas gas 200 an i'm 6ft 3 around 17 stone and it pulls me up anything i need it too! used to have a 290 sherco but found it used to try and pull me arms out their sockets :rotfl:

i ride a gas gas 200 an i'm 6ft 3 around 17 stone and it pulls me up anything i need it too! used to have a 290 sherco but found it used to try and pull me arms out their sockets :rotfl:

Cheers mate,

I saw one on Ebay that was close by and had a bid but was hoping for a bargain not confident i'd win in my price bracket, that was the 321. I'm back to asking about this 250. I used to like V8 cars and I guess I'm power hungry but probably a daft idea in this game! Keeping an open mind is likely to give me a better choice! I'd rather have one less than 10 years so i'll see how old this 250 is! No mad rush as the person who will start with me has a lot of saving to do. I can practice bits in the meantime though!

I appreciate all your comments, thanks

Hi all,

another newbie here, Hi Keta, will be interested to hear how you get on as im just starting to look round to see whats out there as a potential first bike.

I also have around the same budget in mind as you.

Im older than you by a few years too!

Never ridden a trials bike, but ive had road bikes for years. currently have a 2008 hayabusa so im very familiar with that rip your arms off feeling.

Andy.

Hi Keta,

I'm about the same age and weight as you, and I have recently returned to trials too. I bought a early 90's Gas Gas 327 and whilst it isnt that competitive, it's far better than my level of skill will be for a good while and amazes me what it can do. I actually find the extra ommph a bit of a help as it can get you out of a few scrapes where my skill lets me down. I would say to just get something half decent for now without spending too much cash, any farely recent bike will be a good start and remember that the extra stuff, lid, gloves, trailer etc add up to a big pull out.

It hurts alot more than it used to when I fall off now - but if anything I enjoy it much more than I ever did. I agree, it is an excellent de-stresser!

Thanks for all the responses. I will keep you all posted.

The bike at work is a TXT I think and it is certainly a 97. I think I will leave it to be honest. As the 321 I missed out on went for

Right,

I'm keeping you posted!

I now have my first bike. Its a 2000 Sherco 250, in my Leeds United colours lol. I got it from Ebay today for the sum of

Edited by Keta

That looks a really clean bike for the age. nice buy Keta.

Andy.

Thanks Andy,

Yeah i'm happy with its looks just a few running teething problems to resolve, then I can start falling off it in the garden!

You had any luck yet?

Ian

im 25 and after my first bike also, I want a montesa and was looking at buying private from somewhere in yorkshire but...i cant pick the dam thing up so im kinda screwed. I could get a bike from a shop down there who could deliver but along with a good pair of boots and a helmet...it all adds up to way too much.......so .....Im stuck really.....going and buying private on my own is a risk as i know nothing about bikes really...so...yeah....very risky...shops offer peace of mind that way but charge you for the privilege.

bike

Edited by moodyedge

im 25 and after my first bike also, I want a montesa and was looking at buying private from somewhere in yorkshire but...i cant pick the dam thing up so im kinda screwed. I could get a bike from a shop down there who could deliver but along with a good pair of boots and a helmet...it all adds up to way too much.......so .....Im stuck really.....going and buying private on my own is a risk as i know nothing about bikes really...so...yeah....very risky...shops offer peace of mind that way but charge you for the privilege.

bike