First Bike Choice. Looking For Pointers

keta

I'm no expert and others would be better, i'm new like you! But two stroke engines are relatively simple, inefficient and do wear quicker. The age of it doesn't matter that much I don't suppose as the engines will need rebuilding more often than 4 strokes. They seize easier as well. An 04 bike might have been riden on the same engine build/bearings for 50 hours and an 01 only 15 hours since rebuild! In that scenario it is likely the 04 bike would have engine issues earlier providing the work done on the 01 was correct.

You have good experience on the other bike so you'll pick up trials quicker than I. A lot of it is similar, balance/weight distribution. You just need to get used to clutch control, more complicated break arrangement and throttle control. Then the bike is heavier and softer feeling. It will feel a little unresponsive compared to the pedal version. The rest of it will be pretty similar. Once you learn how to control/ride the bike I'll bet you progress pretty quickly.

Edited by Keta

is there any 'things' to look for on montesas that i could try and identify when checking over a bike, things that are known to 'go' etc ..obviously stuff like play in the forks, headset, wheels, rear arm etc...

should there be any smoke out the tailpipe or non...the 2 stroke thing I have no knowledge of so you will have to treat me as a half wit. The oil goes in with the fuel and burns in the pot so there must be some blue smoke????

Yeah they smoke more than other engines. Like you have mentioned oil is burned, they will also release non combusted fuel as well.

Somebody else will obviously chime in with other info for you as I have no clue. I was happy with the condition of mine and I was confident I can learn to replace any bits like bearings/bushes with the change I have from buying such a cheap bike, so I didn't really check. Major parts and damage to forks/frame was my main concern.

Ive decided on a 06/07 scorpa sy250 due to the good reliability.....good looking bike...

I'm sure you will be more than happy with it! I wouldn't have dared spend so much on my first as my skills will mean me dropping it a lot! I am having a few issues with mine but hope to have my first ride tomorrow. I tried to keep my brand options open so I had more choice!

yeah well im a fussy....you know what...i want a jap engine so.the montesaa seem expensive and look kinda bulky......i like the look of the scorpa a lot...wasnt sure when i first saw them but teh black wheel model luks great...im sure i could get the hang of one pretty quick...been going back out on the push bike this week to get myself moving again.

i heard the scorpa has a lot of torque at the bottom end so that would be useful as i can roll over things burbling away. I will start off tearing up and down the steep grass banks i have out the back of where i live. they are very steep..if you tripped at the top you wouldnt stop before you got to the bottom 60-50 feet down, good thing is its graduated so i can start on the 10ft and work along to the big end.

missed out on the bike i wanted...an 07 sy250 for 1485,, gutted...Waiting til my dad gets back, hes abroad until tom night...need to ok it with him before i get one...last time i mentiopned it he said theres nowhere to put one...there is really...anyway...

that and a 04 montesa sold and i could have had either....hope theres a few other good deals about like that next week

got to buy a helmet and boots yet too..and they aint cheap either

was just about to mention another that was for sale..a scorpa...was an 05 model with silver wheels etc which iwasnt as keen on...prefer the black rim versions because they look great..could have got that cheap tho....was the one with the scraped tank that i was going to paint .arhh....

ive got about 1400 but i want to get the best bike i can for that

are gas gas and betas crap??? i heard they can be unrelieable and gas gas aint made amazingly well compared to some others. I noticed you can get a new ish sherco for not that much..are they any good????

Edited by moodyedge

are gas gas and betas crap??? i heard they can be unrelieable and gas gas aint made amazingly well compared to some others. I noticed you can get a new ish sherco for not that much..are they any good????

Should be a budget for a decent bike that mate. Best posting a seperate thread asking those questions. A which model would you get one! You will of course get biased views from everyone! Just take note of the bike they ride when they suggest one :thumbup:

My Sherco isn't good lol. But I knew that when I got it, it needs more work than I first guessed but I am happy to do it! It looks fairly new and will feel new when I get the time to finish rebuilding it!

You could have good and bad luck with any bike I guess. Best to go ride a few ideally mate and see which feels/looks good to you. A decent trade place should let you have a bash. Just learn to ride one before you buy. Any places you can hire and ride near you? There is a place called Bumpy near me, I used to live on the same road. I now live only 15 mins away. They let you have a go for

Edited by Keta

i wasnt aware the rtx had a reverse!!!!nice feature!

Hi guys,

I am in the process of buying my first bike. I have ridden when I was a teenager but only used a RTX 125 from Bumpy and got onto smaller splats. Going up ramps backwards etcc. I was never allowed my own bike and in my first house didn't have room for one. Now I have a big garage and want to get into it. A little old now at 29 but it would be a nice way to destress!

I'm drawn to Gas Gas as I had a small play on one when I was younger and liked it. After the RTX though, which weighed a ton for me at 13, any prob would. A work colleague has offered me a Gas Gas 250 for