The Best Twinshock Ever?

jaan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah that the mechanic charlie......

seriously though, its all a matter of taste. in the 2006 Jersey two day, I did not do very well in the easy route on a 340....bob gent won it the hard route, for me very hard, on a slightly modded 200 fanny

ditto this years exmoor three day.

Me:Not very good on the girlie route....hard route won by ian baker on a tlr 200.

I like biluding the 340s, more poke than anybody really needs, just like em. I started because 240 engine parts are becoming very hard to get. 2nd gear pinions, clutch baskets etc. the later engines, even the 241/243 all offer cheaper parts....

Either of the guys above could beat me riding a FS1E!

I'm just fond of the build quality of the old fantics , Never mind the weak ign. poor swingarm pivot design ( un maintainable stock ), But it is the bike that got me back into trials after not riding a trials bike for about 30 years ... And I do believe that back in the day when they were new you would've been hard pressed to get a better out of the crate bike for the average rider ... Although I still lust after a SWM jumbo , just something about that tractor motor ...

Glenn

post-1232-1243191984.jpg

hey,

to me best twinshock in stock form must be the fantic 240 and the honda tlr 250 2nd (if you can get used to it, personelly i like it a lot its my baby sherco 3,2)

the spanish bikes are from an other generation (ossa gripper not included). they are heavy and power is slow, not so good for narrow and hard sections but ok for more open sections

regards bob

I can honestly say the SWM 320 was the worst bike I ever had , 8 months of hell . Total waste of money !

Just incase you don't remember- Gilles Burgat won a world title on SWM and then didn't after signing/riding for fantic

So i don't think 'the SWM' is the worst bike ever!

I thoroughly enjoy riding my 320 SWM , and in 25 years of riding trials , enduro and mx its the bike

i have had most fun and enjoyment out of .

Remember that word- 'FUN'- isnt that what is all about? :D

Just incase you don't remember- Gilles Burgat won a world title on SWM and then didn't after signing/riding for fantic

So i don't think 'the SWM' is the worst bike ever!

I thoroughly enjoy riding my 320 SWM , and in 25 years of riding trials , enduro and mx its the bike

i have had most fun and enjoyment out of .

Remember that word- 'FUN'- isnt that what is all about? :D

Sorry but I said it was the worst bike I ever owned and it makes no difference as to what was achieved by others on the bike. My results took a huge dip when I rode the SWM and improved markedly when I swapped it for a 200 Fantic , I didnt really get on with the 240 Fantic that is why the 200 remains my favourite twin shock :D

The best twin shock I've ever ridden is my Cota 200, but.....

I just thought I'd share my good fortune with you. I just bought this Fantic 240 Pro from the original owner in Oregon.

It's all original and in excellent condition, just needs the carb cleaned. New rear tire, all paperwork etc... 377 GBP!

Fantic.jpg

I rode a 240 Fantic for 3 years and loved it! Great bike. Then I had an opportunity to get an immaculate 300, so sold the 240 to buy the 300. Totally different animal. A torque monster, but overall, a better bike I believe. Frame geometry is better and more modern. Motor is different and not as revvy, but for our twinshock events the torque of the 300 is amazing! I just rode one of our twinshock events where we had a huge hillclimb that was ridden by Experts and Champs the 2 days before. I could pull 4th gear tapped out on the old girl when no one else could! Build quality is superb, and Thierry Michaud was a superb rider and loved watching him do the business while riding it. Oh, and if in doubt, I believe one David Pye rode a slightly modified 300 round to a great result in the 2009 SSDT!!!!!

the spanish bikes are from an other generation (ossa gripper not included). they are heavy and power is slow, not so good for narrow and hard sections but ok for more open sections

regards bob

How about the younger Montesas 242 and 330?

The best twin shock I've ever ridden is my Cota 200, but.....

I just thought I'd share my good fortune with you. I just bought this Fantic 240 Pro from the original owner in Oregon.

It's all original and in excellent condition, just needs the carb cleaned. New rear tire, all paperwork etc... 377 GBP!

Fantic.jpg

No dont tell us the price ,I nearly choked on my cider that is best part of a two grand bike in that condition over here :D

I dont know, here in Belgium they are very rare (never seen one in use)

but i guess they should be better than the 349 and 348

here twinshock experts nr 1 choise is the fantic or the honda there are some yamaha's to but they are very modified

How about the younger Montesas 242 and 330?

No dont tell us the price ,I nearly choked on my cider that is best part of a two grand bike in that condition over here :D

Did you pull that out of somewhere like Albany or something? There was one like that for sale for a long time for $600-800.

It came from the same family that had the fantic boots on ebay a few weeks ago , They told me their son had the bike on craigslist in albany ore. , I told my brother in Baker city about it , but he's been to busy trying to sell his Harley to go check it out for me ...

And now it's too late ...

Glenn

hey,

to me best twinshock in stock form must be the fantic 240 and the honda tlr 250 2nd (if you can get used to it, personelly i like it a lot its my baby sherco 3,2)

regards bob

The Fantic fair enough,but the Honda TLR,besides looking the dogs is hopeless - esp as standard,with its snatchy clutch and spit and stop engine.They were very sharp - too sharp if they did decide to go.Nice front forks though.

Out of the crate a Fantic 200/240/300 or a 250Yam were a much better bet,the Yam I ride now is much better at following a line than the TLR ever was and you dont need to even think about the engine,its just soft suet pudding thats almost impossible to stall.

Yet to try a Bultaco in a trial,looked hard for a good one before the current Yam,but seeing far too many Monts jump out of gear put me off even trying one back in the 80's.