The Best Twinshock Ever?

jaan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it's got to be the MAJESTY TY 250 !

In the early 90's the SSDT ran a twin shock class, Mick Andrews chose to ride a TLR250, I own both a mint Fantic 200 and a TLR 250, if I had to pick one it would be the TLR.

Thanks mates, I do appreciate your opinions!

However I'm so poor trials rider that I don't need the best twinshock ever.

Montesa Cota 348 just good for me (both she and me are heavy and our power is slow :D)

Perhaps I'll upgrade or improve my 348 somehow: new front fork springs, better brake pedal, Mikuni or Keihin, fat bar?

Hey Jon how's the Serow coming on :D

Far too slowly for my liking ! Going to OZ on holiday has totally stuffed progress,plus work,(Tho I shouldnt complain - lucky to have any.) has been so busy, the couple of days off I planned to get on with it keep being put back.Cant wait to see if its any good - and possibly show up those Honda's !

To save starting another thread has anyone any ideas who sells those nice diamond sort of shape rear boxes that people use on Cider Tubs and Ceefer's etc.Someone had a load of them for sale at the last Bath Classic scramble on a stall,should have bought one.I reckon it would do the trick on my Serow,and save most of a day's work in making one.

Didn't have any room or a good class to ride it in so I passed. Glad it went to a good home.

Thanks, Dave.

I got the bike home and within an hour had it going. It runs perfect and easily lifts the front wheel skyward with a little crack of the throttle, in third gear.

The original forks and shocks feel amazing. I'm going to go ahead and say it's the best twinshock I've ridden. I've got to get it out for some practice this weekend before the next trial in the CPTA series the following weekend. I was riding a Cota 200, and every trial more Bultacos seem to show up and I was starting to feel ganged-up on. I think now the Buls will be running scared. LOL

I have to say the best twinshock iv seen/owned is an highly modified tl125. it had been punched to 167cc and trimmed the weight to 165 pounds WITH full fuel. we also steepend the head angle and put XL forks on it. it puts my sherco to shame in every way and it looks really nice.

• 1 month later...
I have to say the best twinshock iv seen/owned is an highly modified tl125. it had been punched to 167cc and trimmed the weight to 165 pounds WITH full fuel. we also steepend the head angle and put XL forks on it. it puts my sherco to shame in every way and it looks really nice.

Tell us more, pics of the mods, who did the steering head mods? how much did you steepen it by?. I've got a Tl in the garage with an xl185 motor and an ATC200X barrel (bigger fins) waiting for inspiration and time to fit. I ride a Scorpa but love the 4 stroke sound best! did you stay with the TL hub when you went over to the XL forks?

How did you lose that much weight off the bike?

I,m afraid i cannot recall the exact angle of the head stem but it is very close to the angle of a stock TY175. I modified the frame by running a long piece of steel bar-stock through the stem i then used a come-along attached to the down tube and the bar stock i heated the frame and slowly bent it till it was close to the TY. the hub is off a TL but the brake assembly is XL as i recall it required some slight modification th make them compatible. As for the weight, just trimming every single ounce of metal even cutting the back of the rear frame loop off, it has plastic fenders and tank as well as every possible non-structural piece being drilled or replaced with aluminum. I must warn you if you do go thrugh with the front end modifacation, if not properly set up steep down hill turns will be a problem because the bars will snap all the way over and if you have ground the steering stops down such as i did it will throw you over the bars. I will not put any promise on your results if you do any of these because it took a lot of time to get mine dialed in but I am extremely happy with how it turned out.

il try to post some photo,s later but right now my digital camera is acting up.

I,m afraid i cannot recall the exact angle of the head stem but it is very close to the angle of a stock TY175. I modified the frame by running a long piece of steel bar-stock through the stem i then used a come-along attached to the down tube and the bar stock i heated the frame and slowly bent it till it was close to the TY. the hub is off a TL but the brake assembly is XL as i recall it required some slight modification th make them compatible. As for the weight, just trimming every single ounce of metal even cutting the back of the rear frame loop off, it has plastic fenders and tank as well as every possible non-structural piece being drilled or replaced with aluminum. I must warn you if you do go thrugh with the front end modifacation, if not properly set up steep down hill turns will be a problem because the bars will snap all the way over and if you have ground the steering stops down such as i did it will throw you over the bars. I will not put any promise on your results if you do any of these because it took a lot of time to get mine dialed in but I am extremely happy with how it turned out.

il try to post some photo,s later but right now my digital camera is acting up.

In the UK, Geoff Muston is the man to modify a TL125, he does amazing things with tehm and they ride like a modern bike!

• 3 weeks later...

For me it was the Yamaha Whitehawk. Was lucky enough to get the 200 model a few weeks before the Aberfeldy 2 day youth trial in the 80's and it was an absolute dream to ride. Also had my only schoolboy class win on it during a local club arena trial. It certainly moved me up my class whilst I had it.

My brother has just got hold of a 175 and Im dying to have a go!

Had the Fantic 240 but found it to heavy for my body weight. Also tried a Beamish and a Bultaco for a while with similar issues.

Would have loved to have tried the 200 Cota (as I had a 125 for a while). Made the mistake of h!aving an Italjet JT50 for a short time.....big mistake

On mono's now (having just started back) but am tempted to find another twin shock!

Edited by slogger