Miller Framed M199

bultacobris

Have had this bike for a few years now, and have decided to put it into action.

i have a few questions that i hope can be answered please.

(1) the bike is fitted with elect ignition and different flywheel (see photo) - can anybody tell where the flywheel has come from please.

(2) does anybody know the weight of a std 325cc flywheel please - would like to compare with the one fitted.

(3) is the miller frame geo any different to the standard please, or just better material - i'm pretty sure that the rake and trail are the same (sammy's input on the std frame). the rear triangle section looks slightly different.

(3) also do you think this bike has anymore value than a std M199.

thanks

Flywheel.jpg

M199.jpg

Think its a 325 from maybe 78 ish. Miller frame was never really any good, no one wanted them really. flywheel looks like its had a band shrunk on it for more weight, could be a 250 one used?

Don't know the weight but it would go better without the band cut it off!!!

, expect its close to what you have in photo,

defo worth less with miller frame.

Hi - Yes I agree and defer to Nigel's experience and knowldge that the Miller frame on your bike was never popular or any improvment over the Bultaco frames though I'm not sure this is an impediment on the value front. Most of the frames or complete Millerised bikes that have been on sale recently have gone for above average Bultaco prices. I simply put this down to the 'Sammy Miller' effect and the urge to have something out of the ordinary (I'm guilty on this charge).

There were two Miller frames for Bultaco. The earlier one looks like a model 80 slimline frame and I would argue was a better handling frame than the standard Bultaco. Sammy himself and the Miller team had lots of sucess with it. It also had the alloy bash plate subframe 8 years before Bultaco introduced it. The later frame (like your one) was built after Sammy had left the factory and really got left behind geometrically speaking as trials bikes and Bultaco's in particular evolved.

Most people found the footpegs too high on the later frame and dropped them down and back. Can't quite see if this has been modified on yours.

Here is the earlier frame -

post-4121-1243520595.png

Edited by bultaco49

I imported a Miller frame in 1983 to fit a M199

Previous comments are spot on. Footrests too high. More steering lock, but it was a little more twitchey in terms of famous Bultaco straight line stability in loose rocky sections. Packaging was crap-tabs bent in transit, and some of the chroming was thin in places. Howver, in Oz, they were highly regarded

That ignition looks like the electronic version ( Femsa or Motoplat ) from the corrosponding Frontera/Pursang models, with a weight added to slow things down. If you keep the ignition, don't disregard the weight.

I have the correct weight specs somewhere, will dig out and post if Big John or the Dabster can't supply