Backfires & Stops !

MontyTim348

I have an 04 Beta Rev 3 270 that has developed a problem, it runs and rides fine then for no apparent reason it mis-fires, backfires and then stops. It then won't re-start unless you swap the plug for another ( old one or new, makes no odds ) and then it starts first kick and then off you go again usually for a couple of hours or more, in fact it hasn't happened twice in the same day and doesn't happen every outing but it is becomming more frequent. Today it did it when the bike was only just warm, but a cold plug cures it. Anyone any ideas ? could this be the start of a stator plate problem ?

Edited by Betatim

I have an 04 Beta Rev 3 270 that has developed a problem, it runs and rides fine then for no apparent reason it mis-fires, backfires and then stops. It then won't re-start unless you swap the plug for another ( old one or new, makes no odds ) and then it starts first kick and then off you go again usually for a couple of hours or more, in fact it hasn't happened twice in the same day and doesn't happen every outing but it is becomming more frequent. Today it did it when the bike was only just warm, but a cold plug cures it. Anyone any ideas ? could this be the start of a stator plate problem ?

This happend to mine after a new stator,

It turned out to be the coil pack had bad connections! Try taking the coil pack of and make sure the connections are fine! aslo check the kill switch is working ok!

It sounds dumb but it fixed mine!

Hope this helps

This happend to mine after a new stator,

It turned out to be the coil pack had bad connections! Try taking the coil pack of and make sure the connections are fine! aslo check the kill switch is working ok!

It sounds dumb but it fixed mine!

Hope this helps

Makes sense. It is not the sparkplug change that makes it work, but instead the fact that the plug wire was moved around, while changing it.

Betatim - Next time, just pull the plug wire, move it all around, and then stick it right back on the same plug. I bet it works just as well as changing out the plug.