Tyre Pressures?

Well, a good Question, as everyone has their own preferences. Over the years I have found 8psi in the front and 2-4psi in the rear (2psi in mud/roots etc and 4psi on rocks)

If you have a Michelin front, it will last for ages. The best rear is no doult an IRC which will get better as it wears, as goes for when to change its upto you , as a guide, if the centre knobbly looses its pattern then think of changing it or turn it as you will definatly get more use from it.

Hope this will help,

cant really help much on the tyre pressures, but how did the trial go?

did you do much practice riding before entering one?

also how easy did you find it?

Andy.

I had a fair bit of practice but the place i practice is an old quarry and this trial was woodland and streams etc,

The trial was really good fun, I chose intermediate route for a good challenge,

It was far from easy tho, Lots of dabs but i learned more there than any practice!

Well, a good Question, as everyone has their own preferences. Over the years I have found 8psi in the front and 2-4psi in the rear (2psi in mud/roots etc and 4psi on rocks)

If you have a Michelin front, it will last for ages. The best rear is no doult an IRC which will get better as it wears, as goes for when to change its upto you , as a guide, if the centre knobbly looses its pattern then think of changing it or turn it as you will definatly get more use from it.

Hope this will help,

From what i can tell it has been turned already by the previos owner, oths sides of nobbles have even wear on them, The mud was pretty severe today tho, I have my second trial next sunday, Im hoping the weather will be dry and see how it performs there. At my normal practice site it is mainly rocks, i Dont have a problem with grip there. . I dont want to buy a new tyre atm if i can help it!

I ve been running 6 in the front and 4 in the back for a good 20 years now whatever the terrain.

it used to be less but then I discovered beer, curry and pies :(

I'm 12 1/2 stone heavier riders may use more in the rear but I wouldnt go past 5 unless your 15 stone plus

I run 3.5 in the rear and 5.5 in the front. also as for tyre wear, I run mine until they are just about road legal (2mm) makes for good practice, have to work really hard to find grip and saves you shed loads of money. I always run michelins front and rear but thats only because they are road legal, I cant comment on what other tyres are like.

All the best

Tom

I ve been running 6 in the front and 4 in the back for a good 20 years now whatever the terrain.

it used to be less but then I discovered beer, curry and pies :)

I'm 12 1/2 stone heavier riders may use more in the rear but I wouldnt go past 5 unless your 15 stone plus

I best check bathroom scales then :(

I run 6 front and 4 rear for everything, as i can't be a***d trying to feel for the difference people say it makes.

Run 'em til they are round in both directions as said above... well past their usefulness...

If it's been turned already I'd just get a new one.

That way you're starting from scratch and will be able to gauge how long it takes before you start feeling the grip go - given your style, terrain you ride and technique - and you will feel it go.

I'm not a particularly good rider so I change my tyre reasonably often as it gives me a boost in my performance having a newer tyre - but I see guys way better than me, doing better the me, riding on tyres that I wouldn't dare compete on! Think I might take note of what Tombo said and start practicing finding grip on well worn tyres!

For tyre pressures I'm 15 stone and never put more than 4psi in the rear and usually 6 in the front. It does depend on how 'broken in' the tyre is though, with a new IRC i was able to run 2psi with no problems then just upped the pressure to 4 as it wore in.

Unless you're the next Doug, I wouldn't worry about your weight. Perhaps the key to when a tyre is knackered or not is how it feels to you when you are riding it. Part of the game is learning how to find traction and if you are still getting reasonable grip when you practice the rubber might have some life left in it. Once you start to feel it go in practice it probably needs a swap, turning a tyre won't take you back to "brand new" grip levels.

Fat Blokes response...... :) (Disclaimer...I am over 15 stone.....just ..... :( )

7 in front 5 in the back, though with a tubed tyre always had a little more. Michelin front and rear always, don't like anything else but then again I get out so infrequently at the minute I'm not likely to wear it out.

Whatever else you buy don't touch Pirelli, they are garbage, you'd be better riding on the rim.

i'm comfortably over 15 stone ( a tight fit under 100kg) you'll defo feel the difference with a new tyre but as a 'new' rideri'd suggest hanging on with the old for a month or two.

firstly summers here ish and things will be drying up so grip will be coming. secondly no matter what your throttle control will only get better as you look for grip on a 'used' tyre

whn practicing do less steps etc and practice more pulling away from standing start on loose slopes etc, use a slow throttle body and be gentle

Unless you're the next Doug, I wouldn't worry about your weight. Perhaps the key to when a tyre is knackered or not is how it feels to you when you are riding it. Part of the game is learning how to find traction and if you are still getting reasonable grip when you practice the rubber might have some life left in it. Once you start to feel it go in practice it probably needs a swap, turning a tyre won't take you back to "brand new" grip levels.

Fat Blokes response...... :) (Disclaimer...I am over 15 stone.....just ..... :( )

7 in front 5 in the back, though with a tubed tyre always had a little more. Michelin front and rear always, don't like anything else but then again I get out so infrequently at the minute I'm not likely to wear it out.

Whatever else you buy don't touch Pirelli, they are garbage, you'd be better riding on the rim.

I have just put a pirelli on my 315 . Brilliant grip and seems to be wearing really well 3lb in it.

I ride easy and occasional clubman and its fine for this. At 51 quid fitted against the price of a michelin there isnt a choice for me.

Cheers

Expert riders (or those folks who are quite serious about the sport) seem to replace their tires no less than every 6 months. World riders do it, what, every event?...but that's overkill for us mortals, of course. For front tires it's maybe every year, depending on how much you ride.

If you live in slippery terrain, a new tire can work wonders!

Tire pressure changes sometimes, even after a couple hours (as the day warms up, or maybe elevation changes from your house to the event - well in mountanous areas, that is.) So check, with a gauge that reads down to say 0.25 pounds (and up to maybe 15 or so?)...not a truck gauge that goes up to 80 pounds, and doesn't go down, effectively, to around 0.25 pounds of pressure.