Hello From Cambridgeshire

azzacat

Hi,

Been reccomended this forum by a keen rider friend, been reading for a few days so better say "Hello", We have a 02 GASGAS TXT 280 Edition and look forward to learning some new skills, Have been around bikes all my life and a little bored with road bikes so thought I'd give trialing a go.

Look forward to taking part in this site.

All the best

Aaron

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Azzacat and welcome!

I live near Cambridge and ride for Cambridge Matchless. I love these people; they are like a second family! Check them out here:

http://www.cambridgematchless.co.uk/

If Northampton is more convenient, Nene Valley Motorcycle Club is your man:

http://www.nvmcc.co.uk/

Just as friendly really! They have some cracking venues. Their next trial is at Glendon quarry and is a good mix of rocks, woods and some big climbs. All set out sensibly.

If you need parts and machine advice, use John Lee's in Higham Ferrers. It's a great shop and worth supporting. The Lee's are and have been active at the highest levels of trials and will give you supperb advice.

http://www.lee-motorcycles.co.uk/

I ride (badly) all the Matchless trials and a few of the Nene valley trials, let me know if you're planning to ride and we'll catch up.

Graham

Again thanks for the reply, Both clubs soud good, I am keen to ride but find myself worried about my firs outing as a comlete novice, I need to go and see what goes on at an event first, I have visions of being aked to hop or climb a rock.... all of which i cant do... YET

Definatly catch up.

Thanks

Azz

I have the same issues. I want to spend time practising on the bike first. Not really too fussed with competing at all really, but will probably have a go at some point.

So far ive ridden the bike for a total of about 2 minutes and having mainly road bike experience its a complete change and something i need to work on.

I can second John Lees, been getting all my stuff from there. Quite surprising how much they have in stock. Plus they have so much knowledge. wouldnt go anywhere else.

as for practice venues, im looking into the Earl shilton club. www.estc.co.uk

might head over there on wednesday evening as they have a trial on so might go to have watch.

Im not ready to ride yet as i havnt got sorted out with helmet, gloves and boots. but now the bike is ready, that will be the next step.

Andy.

OK Guys, let me provide encouragement!

I have got a couple of mates involved since I returned from a long break (13 years). One of these guys lives near Cambridge too and is often on TC (skov). He came from a road/ trackday background and had never ridden a bike off road before last November. We joined Earl Shilton in order to practice at least once before we rode a trial. Skov's first trial was Matchless' trial in November, and in retrospect was a bit tough for him. However, he survived and now champs at the bit for the next event!

As a complete newbie, I suggest the easiest of the 3 routes on offer at Nene Valley or Matchless trials, which is ridden by beginners and some little'uns. Don't feel funny about sharing your route with 12-year old girls, they may well beat you! You have to accept that I'm afraid! The easiest route is designed to test newbies but provide plenty of opportunities to clean sections. You will do well to ride it completely clean, even if you have had a load of practice. But this is what it's all about; if it's too easy you'll soon lose enthusiasm, same if it's too hard. Matchless and NV usually get it right though.

You can practice all you like, but your riding usually seems to fall apart when there are markers in the ground and a geezer with a clipboard watching you! However, no-one else really is, so it's not the baptism of fire that lining up at the start of an MX race is. If you can, get along to a trial for a look-see.

The biggest thing that will shtup you is the sight of all the markers. This IS a bit intimidating. Picking out your own route from all the different markers is difficult, and then trying to remember it whilst you are queueing for the section is even harder! This still gets Skov, but he's getting far more used to it now.

If I may make a suggestion; join Earl Shilton so you have access to the yennards to practice (you'll find it extremely hard to find legal practice ground round here otherwise) and then join either Matchless or NV. Practice and visit a trial if you can and aim to ride at Glendon on 5th July (Nene Valley). You can ride this trial if you are a memebr of either club. There is a matchless club only trial on the friday evening, but this is often very tight and may not be the best to ride as a 1st; it's more a light-hearted trial for slightly more experienced riders. By all means ride, or turn up to watch, but you need to be a matchless member to ride it.

Myself and (probably) Skov will be at Glendon. If Skov's there you can tag around and walk the sections with us.

It's easy and very, very low key!

Look forward to seeing you both

Graham

Sorry, forgot to clarify the nature of the hazards:

Rocks: You may get some, but not rock steps, even on the middle (clubman route) you rarely get anything bigger than a foot or so. You rarely see them on Matchless or NV trials, and when you do you'll lose marks on loose ones, not big ones!

Climbs: Sometimes you get some big ones on the easiest route, but usually if you do, you get a generous run-up.

Drops: Rarely will you get anything where there is even the remotest chance of going over the bars. Usually they are long and reasonably shallow or short but sharpish. You're unlikely to get any degree of tight downhill turns either. Downhills are often scary when you start and clubs take this into account

Streams/ Mud: This is what it's all about; getting dirty! You'll have these depending on the weather but you won't get deep water unless you get lost in section!

Most of the time you will be dealing with climbs, drops, cambers and turns. Sometime turns on rough stuff to test your steering. You'll lose marks on many things, but you will be UNLIKELY to hurt yourself.

Don't worry guys, it's all good...

Graham

Its so nice to see new blood getting exitd ..just a thought you could go along to any trial and observe . It really is something that all competitors would do well to experience. All best have fun.

Earl Shilton have one of there Beginers Fun Trials on Wednesday evening, if you can get to have a look at least you will see the Yennards and whats available if you join, as well as getting an idea of the sort of sections that the Beginers series (and the White route at a normal ESTC event) you will need to ride. www.estc.co.uk

Im planning on heading up there this wednesday to have a look.

does anyone have any links to info to help newbies, like whats required to get us to the point of lining up on a trial, ie do we need to join the ACU? would that be in addition to joining NVMCC or cambridge matchless? or is it included?

is there any resources for rules and general practices on a typical trial? ive had a look at the ACU site and downloaded some stuff on rules, but i have no idea whether its the same set of rules i would face say if i turned up at Glendon.

Andy.

Andy, you need to join the ACU as well as the club. (I moaned about that a while ago as there is a series of signings and countersignings which was a reet pain in the crevice for us that joined in November at the end of the ACU year, but won't be a problem for you). If youjoin the club, the club will help you get this sorted. It's only a tenner and that's that.

If you join a club in one region (in this case, the south midlands) you can ride trials at most clubs in that region. Unfortunatley for you (and I), Earl Shilton is in the East Midlands region so you need to join another club to ride the trials local to you. The advantages of the practice ground (and a very healthy membership) outweigh this small extra cost AND you get to ride the excellent peterborough trials too.

As for rules, they are all the same! The scoring is the same where ever you are. The only problem is that the route markers are NOT standardised. You will need to get used to a variety of marker styles and colours dependingon the club. As long as you can learn to 'tune out' the markers that are not relavent to your route, you'll be OK.

If you can, get along to the Yennards on Wednesday; an evening at a trial will answer all your questions and this is a VERY friendly sport so someone will come and chat to you.

Graham

Aaron, Andy,

Go for it! That gives you 4 weeks. An ideal preparation time! Glendon is a great venue with enough to make it feel like you've not been patronised and had a proper test.

If you look me and Skov out, we'll make sure all is well with your bikes (tyre pressures etc) and ease you through the day. Skov is a newbie so will be able to empathise with you. I think he'll appreciate the company on his route as well!

You'll find me easy enough; I have a huge white UN-issue Nissan Patrol 4be4 and ride a blue Rev3. Skov rides a 315R with impossibly narrow bars!

Graham

I may just take you up on that, need to check the calendar to make sure there is no work on or family commitments, otherwise im up for giving it a go.

Just how many 12 year old girls exactly will be showing me how to ride? :(

Actually that doesnt bother me at all, i'd be just as happy taking tips from a school kid as i would from an adult, i have nothing to prove, ive never trial'd before therefore im allowed to be crap! :)

Andy.