4rt Tuning Tips?

jmlfin

Hi

I have 4RT 2008 bike and been very very happy with it. Im a club rider with 3+ years of experience. 4RT suites me absolutely perfectly, but sometimes I find it lacking power. This particularly doesnt mean that it wouldnt have enough power, but as my wrists are very tight (I cant for example turn the handlebar from 0-max with one turn), its difficult to turn the gasbar fast/far enought to get the max power out instantly. Since some weeks now, Ive tried to get rid of this problem by turning the gashandle with the front brake leveller downwards and adjusted the bar itself more frontwards to get less wrist angle. These are helping, but still I wonder if there is something more I can do. I thought of changing the gashandle to fast one and wondered also if I could remap the engine so that it would be more aggressive in lower revs. I dont know if remapping is possible to normal 4RT 2008 or if its even a solution at all to my strange problem, but Im trying to think of everything to get this problem solved.

Any help or ideas?

First things first, Change from slow action to fast action this will make a massive difference. The power is more usable with slow action but not quick enough if lets say you leave it a bit late say. Start from there, its cheap to do and if you start re mapping you can open up a whole can of worms. Alternatively give it more throttle. Try it first and see you will be surprised

In my opinion the best bit of tuning advice for 4rt s is fit the twin map throttle body, It is not as expensive as you think.

HAVE IT SET MILD AND WILD . The best money i spent on trials bits, and its all reversable,

Its tru a quick action throttle is a cheap first try but i found the monty a bit sharp off the bottom as it was , and the throttle will not help this.

Remmove the restrictor between the cylinder and front pipe and also between the front pipe and silencer

Try a Domino aluminium fast action throttle, seem to be quicker and smooter than a f/action plastic

Remove flame retarder cage from air filter and use jitsie filter

Try a 42/43 rear sprocket, just to slow things down a little and give it more get up and go

I'd recommend trying these before you re-map the bike, the bike has enough umph as standard

Always amazes me when people say the 4rt is down on power especially from clubman riders, the bikes got loads of it rev the bloody thing. I think most people actually mean the inital take off power not overall power more than anything,a 2 stroke will light up instantly where as the Mont needs to be coaxed with throttle build up and clutch. As John says drop the gearing to 43 or 9/42 and you will see a big difference,quick action throttle if needed and dump the restrictors/original air filter

Always amazes me when people say the 4rt is down on power especially from clubman riders, the bikes got loads of it rev the bloody thing. I think most people actually mean the inital take off power not overall power more than anything,a 2 stroke will light up instantly where as the Mont needs to be coaxed with throttle build up and clutch. As John says drop the gearing to 43 or 9/42 and you will see a big difference,quick action throttle if needed and dump the restrictors/original air filter

I changed to a fast throttle before this past weekend (two day event). Huge difference, I would swear the bike has more power now. Also the gearing feels different!! Hard to explain but it was especially noticable on the loop trail, it seems like there is much less of a jump from 3rd to 4th now.

Highly recommended upgrade, and I although I was worried about the throttle becoming too sensitive for my ham fist, no problem at all.

• 10 months later...
In my opinion the best bit of tuning advice for 4rt s is fit the twin map throttle body, It is not as expensive as you think.

HAVE IT SET MILD AND WILD . The best money i spent on trials bits, and its all reversable,

Its tru a quick action throttle is a cheap first try but i found the monty a bit sharp off the bottom as it was , and the throttle will not help this.

I'd like to soften the response of my 06 4RT. Is the 2 stage "mild" really mild or is the "wild" just wilder? Can anyone recommend a supplier for the 2 stage unit who can change the programming for me if needed. Ther seems to be no 2 stage units in the U.S. just now.