Radiator Stopped Working?

dazzler

Could anyone help please, new to trails got a txt 2007 and the bike overheats and water comes out of the radiator overflow pipe as steam and the fan is not coming on, I am in a trails on Sunday and need to try to fix it today??

Thanks

Edited by dazzler

Replace the thermoswitch after checking by removing wires & taping together, I keep a very short piece of wire with 2 spade terminals in my bag for this reason.

If you can't get a new switch in time just use this method which will run fan whenever motor is going

I have a 2006 250TXT and also had a problem with the fan not coming on. It turned out not to be the thermostat but the fan sticking in a certain place. When the bike is hot enough for the fan to operate try pushing the fan on with your finger and see if it starts running. If this is the problem then you need a new fan unit (about

having not ridden mine for more than around 5 -10 minutes, im unaware if my fan is working or not.

To prove the fan itself, i want to short out the stat, but as yet havnt looked for it, anyone point me in the right direction? im guessing its just a case of lifting the tank isnt it?

its an 03 txt350 by the way.

Also, how long do people find it takes from cold before the fan should start coming on?

Andy.

Hi Andy, yea just lift the tank off and you should find like a T piece of metal with the black hoses either end and a couple of spade connectors and its near the radiator filler and that's what your looking for the thermostatic switch, try and short the circuit with a little patch lead to see if the fan spins up straight away.

When I go out on my 280 `04 pro I like to let it idle for a couple of minutes then ride around in 3rd or 4th gear to give it chance to warm up then about 15 minutes or so later I check to see if the fan is coming on but usually it takes between 15 and 20 minutes and I keep checking throughout the ride be it a practice or trial session, but it also depends on how hot or cold the day is.

Hope this helps, Andrew.

Thats brilliant, thank you Andrew.

Think i must have been close to the point where the fan should come on, but didnt notice it, so still probably worth me shorting the stat to prove the fan out, then i know the first time i got out riding i can keep an eye on it to make sure it comes one.

Andy.