Rear Brake Locked On!

ukmarra

Hi all, out riding my 250 techno yesterday, the rear brake became stuck on. The brake pedal was fully depressed (out) but it was still locked on. I freed it by giving it a "gentle" kick only for it to stick on again later. Getting back to the car, the pads were as you can imagine quite smelly and hot. Any ideas as to why they would just lock on themselves?

Cheers

not a beta expert, but one thing is that draging the brake will heat up the fluid to the point of boiling - hence expanding and locking on the brake. Water in the system will make it even worse. I would flush my rear brake system with fresh fluid and figure out why it was draging. (I like dot5 for its high boiling point)

Hi all, out riding my 250 techno yesterday, the rear brake became stuck on. The brake pedal was fully depressed (out) but it was still locked on. I freed it by giving it a "gentle" kick only for it to stick on again later. Getting back to the car, the pads were as you can imagine quite smelly and hot. Any ideas as to why they would just lock on themselves?

Cheers

had the same thing on my 4rt it was a hot day fluid expanded looked on brake change fluid give it some more freeplay on the pedal and bobs your mothers brother

Thats great, thanks for all the replies it really helps being a 'newbie'.

The thing with the dot 5 fluid, the system says only use dot 4 does it really matter?

Thinking back too, there were loads of steep down hills where i was riding which would explain the fluid heating up to boiling point!

• 2 weeks later...

If none of that works you may want a new brake hose.

Something on the inside of the hose can wear out or something and block the return flow of brake fluid.

I had this problem on my front brake, replaced the hose and was fine.