Best Beginner Bike

kt250guy

I am a beginner that wants to get into bike trials. Iv been working on small wheel pivots and track stands on my mountain bike. so i need a real trials bike what is the best bike for a beginner on a really tight budget.

id just look for one on ebay or craigslist or at a local pawn shop. you gotta decide if you want 20 or 26 or 24 inch. if you know anyone who rides trialsin try out their bikes to find what feels best to you and search for something similar to that.

i personally ride an old 1998 or so Monty 221 mod bike that i found at a second hand shop and it was cheap because they didnt know what it was. its the only trials bicycle i have ridden for more than 5 mins. i dont know if it fits me right but i sure do have fun!

you could just use you mountain bike if its got a smallish frame you can use that to start with. if your MTB has rim brakes itll be best, disk brakes on the rear dont really last on a MTB if you do trialsy stuff on it. not do basic MTB hubs, i had to rebuild my MTB's front hub because i did trialsy stuff on it. a MTB is fine to fer basic things down such as balance and your pivots and stuff.

ive read a lot of people like to ride a bike like the Onza. apparently you can get them for as little as 300 euros.

here is link to a biketrials dealer in the UK, the page is for an Onza frame. apparently you can get the whole bike for 50 euros more. very cheap. i hear many on trials-forum.co.uk praising the onza.

o how i wish i d the money to spend on a bike new than 5 years old. :D you luck person. :D

probably would but for that price you can most likely get something with hydraulic rim brakes. check out what is in the FS/WTB section at observedtrials.net. FS/WTB section linky

im my minimal experience, v-brakes are not very strong. i prefer the maguras or disk brakes.

it really all depends on what you want to do on it. the guys at OTN are gurus compared to me. id post there for better suggestions, and some of them can be jerks so just ignore those.

by the way, i just noticed your in oregon too. where abouts are you in oregon?

Edited by redneck

Check with out Web Cyclery they are out of Bend Oregon. I purchased a few bikes from them over the years and they are the top notch when it comes to trials pedal bikes. The have a good web site and carry everything you could ever need. They might even have a used bike or atleast give you leads on who may have one for sale.