290 Evo Suspension Springs?

liviob

I weigh 250 lbs. and am riding intermediate trials. If im not jumping off stuff the front is ok, but with max preload dialed in to the rear spring it will bottom driving "not splattering" over a series of progressivly taller 30" tall rocks hard enough to feel a solid jolt through the pegs. I would like to get stiffer springs front and rear but Beta dosent offer any stiffer springs. Two experianced trials riders Mark Manniko, and Adrian at lewisport say that i shouldnt use a spring thats more than 20% stiffer front and rear. They are lighter than me and both more experianced. Their is one fella who says he weighs 290Lbs. and has made a spring that is 50% firmer than stock. He says it seems to work well for him. I am curious to know what other riders my size are doing to fix springs that they feel are too soft on this bike.

Edited by Liviob

One of the Beta dealers out East has done a few springs, maybe he'll chime in. I have talked to a spring company about doing some springs but sold my evo due to injury so I didn't get to do any at this time. So it has been done and I will have some done for my next evo.

One of the Beta dealers out East has done a few springs, maybe he'll chime in. I have talked to a spring company about doing some springs but sold my evo due to injury so I didn't get to do any at this time. So it has been done and I will have some done for my next evo.

I'm guessing you might be Ron Lee. I spoke with that fella "Debolt" a few weeks ago and he said that he liked the feel of the rear suspension with the firmer spring. I also spoke with Ron Commo jr. last week and he said that he rode the bike and he thought it was an improvement over stock for a large rider, but he didnt sound certain that it would work for me as Debolt is forty lbs heavyer than me. I dont understand why Beta dosent make a firmer set of springs for this bike. There is enough of a market to develop and build a bike but not firmer springs?

Scotts springs are what you need and what you are looking for .. I am not sure why you got the impression that I thought the springs Scott made would not work for you .. They will be perfect .. On the front all you need to do is add spacing as I said small changes will make a dramatic improvement .. I agree that you do not want to go too stiff but I do not believe Scott's to be 50% stronger although the EVO is sprung lightly compared to past models. So order Scott's spring already and put this behind you and ride and enjoy your bike !!

Talk to you soon .....

Edited by Ron

Thanks for the reply Ron. Scott said that he measured the stock rear spring and it measured out at .6kg. and the spring that he is using is made at .9 kg. I may be incorrect but i think that is 50% firmer. I will talk with him again.

Edited by Liviob

You guessed right ! Give DeBolt a call and visit with him. The spring he uses will be what you are looking for. As far as the front, PVC pipe is cheap to try, I would suggest starting with a 1/4 inch longer and work from there a 1/8 inch at a time. You can only go so far with the spacer. It will only take a few minutes to change.

I have what you are looking for. I believe I still have your contact information and will contact you with the spring information.

I have developed 2 different springs for the EVO, one I call a medium duty and the other a Heavy duty.

I recommend the medium duty spring for riders weighing between 180-225lbs and the heavy duty spring is for 225lbs plus.

Several different spring rates were tried and I narrowed it down to two to keep it simple. I have one on our #1 EXPERT rider in Michigans bike and he has had

very positive results with his. I have the heavy duty on mine and there is no way I would go back to a stock spring! So far all buyers have had 100% positive comments after trying them out.

We will talk off line to get you set up.

I have what you are looking for. I believe I still have your contact information and will contact you with the spring information.

I have developed 2 different springs for the EVO, one I call a medium duty and the other a Heavy duty.

I recommend the medium duty spring for riders weighing between 180-225lbs and the heavy duty spring is for 225lbs plus.

Several different spring rates were tried and I narrowed it down to two to keep it simple. I have one on our #1 EXPERT rider in Michigans bike and he has had

very positive results with his. I have the heavy duty on mine and there is no way I would go back to a stock spring! So far all buyers have had 100% positive comments after trying them out.

We will talk off line to get you set up.

Good on you! Save one of them heavy ones for RL! ;)