Info On How To Test The Stator In A Rev 3 2003 To 2007.

pauldjohnson

Hi All, I have just replaced the Stator in my 2005 Rev 3 270cc bike.

This is a 4 wire stator.

The Red Wire= Is AC supply to the CDI.

The Brown Wire= is Ground return for the CDI.

The Black Wire= Is Trigger for the Timing to the CDI.

The Yellow Wire= Is AC to the Reg for 12 Volts DC to feed the Lights and the Horn.

To test the Ignition circuit measure between the Red and the Black, you should see 321 K Ohms. This is one winding and neither the Red or the Black connect to Ground. Also I tested the Inductance of the Red / Black circuit. On the bike and within the magnetic field of the Flywheel. I measured 820mH. Outside the Magnetic field a massive 1.5H.

To test the Yellow circuit measure between Yellow and Brown or Ground ( Brown is connected to Ground in the Stator) you should see a very low reading of 0.51 Ohms. Again I tested the Inductance of this circuit on the bike and inside the flywheel. I measured 2.25mH and of the bike ( outside the field) 2.51mH.

I hope this clears up a lot of confusion about testing the Stator. I must state that the testing was measured at DC and it will be completely different when the bike is running as this is an AC Circuit and it's the Impedance that is important NOT DC Resistance.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

If I put a 12v test light on the red and black wire from the stator I get a nice bright light. If I put the light on the brown wire and the yellow from the stator I get about half as bright of a light. I also get half the brightness when I connect the light on the yellow wire and the ground. Is this normal? Thank you

I'm not real fond of resistance tests on things like pick up coils, it lies to you too often

Japanese bikes made the transition to peak voltage where you measure the power output of the coil, it never lies

Only glitch Is you need an adapter as AC is hard to do this with

I have a very small spark. I used my ohm meter on the wires to measure the AC voltage as I kick it over. The red and black wires measured about 50 AC volts. The brown and yellow wire only measure about 2 AC volts. The resistance for the coil on the red and black measured about 290ohms. The resistance between the brown and yellow wire is about 1ohm. I also get about 2ohms between the brown wire and the frame of the bike. Is this coil grounded?

The red and black wires goes to the CDI so this must be the power for the coil. The brown wire goes to the CDI and the yellow goes to the regulator. Is the brown a trigger for the ignition?

Thank you