Sign in to follow this  
big john

Bultaco Cemoto - What Does It Mean?

I have been asked on many occassions and been involved in many arguements about how 'Bultaco' and more importantly the 'Cemoto' on the badge came to be.

Here is what I have learned over the years after a lesson from my Dad who was astonished that I thought Bultaco was a Japanese bike because the Cemoto part sounded like a Japanese word!

He told me in no uncertain terms that Bultaco came from Spain!!!

(I was little at the time, that was my excuse for being a stupid lad!)

Here goes:

'BULTACO' quite simply comes from the family name of it's creator Snr BULTO who was known as 'PACO' it is presumed that he took the BULT from BULTO and the ACO from PACO merged the two and hey presto BULTACO... simples!

The 'CEMOTO' bit is a bit more vague as many of my friends in Spain say that it doesn't really mean anything, it is not the Spanish for Trials Bike or Motorcycle.

CEMOTO is probably coined from the company name registered as COMPANIA ESPANOLA DE MOTORES, SA

Taking the first two initials C & E with Moto from the Motors, giving C E MOTO and voila... CEMOTO

Hope this helps...

Big John

(fan of Bultaco of course)

• Like 1

Found this on the net......who is this John Grace then ??

"By February of 1959, the time had arrived to hold a press day for the new motorcycle, but no one had thought of a suitable name for the company. John Grace finally came up with the now famous "Bultaco" handle, which was a contraction of Bulto and Pace--the latter ...By February of 1959, the time had arrived to hold a press day for the new motorcycle, but no one had thought of a suitable name for the company. John Grace finally came up with the now famous "Bultaco" handle, which was a contraction of Bulto and Pace--the latter name being a nickname for Francisco in Spain. John Grace is an Englishman, but he was, and still is, an influential member of the Bultaco concern. John also was a road racer in those days."

That is a quote from an article by Geoffrey Wood in Cycle World of January 1970. The full article is named - From Barnyard Beginnings Came These Trial, Road Race & Enduro Champions.

John Grace was an English road racer and engineer who joined with Francisco Bulto after the split from Montesa. He was among the group headed by Paco Bulto when the Bultaco marque was formed. He raced the original Tralla 125cc and the susequent Bultaco road racer's culminating with the TSS models.

He is also partly responsible for the thumbs up logo. Paco Bulto adopted this from the habit of British road racers of signaling with a thumbs up that everything was ok to pit crew

I have a full copy of the article which is translated from Spanish (7 pages in word format). I can send to anyone who wants it. PM me.

Tim

Edited by bultaco49

Personally I have never heard of John Grace, he seems to have been a resident of Gibraltar and of course Bultaco was formed over 50 years ago!

He certainly wasn't a 'big name' on the road racing front otherwise we would have known about him.

Big John

John Grace was a well known racer in Spain in the 1950's and 1960's. His real name was Juan Gracia -not Garcia- being born in Gibraltar of a Spanish family, his first language being Spanish spoken with a natural and genuine Andalusian accent. Juan made his name racing Nortons and AJS bikes, initially riding to the circuits on the same machine he would later race.

In post-war Spain Juan was certainly a big name. His eventual contributions to the Spanish motorcycle industry came as a development rider for Montesa and Bultaco, having raced at the IOM TT.

Juan later settled in the USA as the US representative of Bultaco. In the 1970's, Juan's sons were frequent competitors in the US moto cross scene, making Viginia Beach their base.