Ssdt The Next 100 Years

overthehill

Only a spectator, probably 12+ times since 1981. Last visit 2008. Never ridden although every year I'm there wish I had.

Always manage to get parked in town even if it means walking across from the other end of town. Always enjoyed beer / food after the days spectating in town, usually somewhere different. Just finishes the day off. SSDT wouldn't be the same without the west end and walking through the town with bikes in the window, banners down the high street.

For me, my opinion, tradition rules. SSDT is fort william. Arrive saturday morning, see the flags, trucks in the parc ferme, week has already started.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, my opinion, tradition rules. SSDT is fort william. Arrive saturday morning, see the flags, trucks in the parc ferme, week has already started.

Traditionally the trial started and finished in Edinburgh. Times and traditions can change !

Atmosphere in the "Paddock"? I am not sure if I am in favour of a move or not but would say this, no doubt with violins in the background in the opinion of some.

In the Gorgie days the Sunday was an absolute highlight and we would spend all day soaking up the atmosphere and go home for tea only reluctantly. You could see all the stars of the day, the Works specials, Trade personalities, fancy mods and buy the bits that the local shops did not stock (not to mention Rab with the bike in a dozen bits as a feature). This continued for many years at the West End but in recent times my personal perspective is that atmosphere has diminished to near zero.

Everything seems to be behind canvas so there are few personalities to engage with and bikes are hidden, the day of the Works special seems to be gone (which is nothing to do with location admittedly) and the fancy mods, by the nature of the excellent state of standard modern bikes, are limited to bling rather than function which does nothing for me, the items on sale are fewer than before (warning to competitors: don't break your front master cylinder for you won't find a replacement on the stalls if my shopping efforts this year are any guide).

Of course teenage enthusiasm has waned over forty years but it can't all be me, the atmosphere has definitely diminished. I had a quick birl round on my fruitless shopping trip then went for a ride at Nevis Range on the mountain bike - much more enjoyable, and at one time I could not have imagined myself saying that.

I suppose atmosphere can be a personal thing but more space might allow more to happen.

Would a move to the cattle mart take money from the Fort? The transport of competitors is not an insoluble problem and we would all be staying in the same places we always have for there's no accommodation at the suggested location. I've said this before but you can now go out of an evening in the Fort and barely know that the trial is in town from the attendance at the various catering establishments and watering holes. It's not even necessary to book for the Indian restaurant now.

Presumably young locals have some interest in seeing the mountain bike events and manage to get themselves there for that so would do so for the trial, after all what else is there for them to do in Fort William that they can't do any other weekend of the year? It's not so very far away, one can even push an out of petrol SV 650 practically all the way, but don't ask me to repeat the feat!

There's no easy answer and the absolute priority has to be the survival of the event, most preferably in the format we know and love.

The management has approved me putting in an entry for 2010. Even though I have never been to the Scottish I prefer the idea of the Fort William start. I always thought the idea of having the bike parked in the rain/snow overnight was part of the event. Having them locked in some shed overnight and then wheeled out would not seem the same test of machine.

oooh this is such a tough one! I can't really make my mind up but here are a few of my feelings having ridden the SSDT 6 times and spectated a couple.

West End Parc Ferme Pros:

-That electric feeling you get when you drive into Fort William and see the West End.

-Walking down Fort Willaim highstreet and noticing that nearly everyone is from the world of trials.

-From Mairi's point of view - the results HQ is away from the hustle and bustle, therefore riders have to decide if their quibble about the odd mark or two is realy worth the drive. If the whole event including HQ was moved to cattle market then I think that the results team would find themselves being interupted and hassled a lot more!

-On my late day, I have time to do a spot of shopping in the high street. Also it is incredibly handy if you need a new waterproof jacket or trousers during the week.

-Easily accessible for local people and generates interest in the sport for other tourists to the area.

West End Cons

-Too busy and not enough space - I have watched many a time a rider come flying into their team area and nearly running into some unaware spectators or into the side of a van.

-Support vans can not get in or out safely or easily - it's quite difficult carrying a spare wheel, a stand and box of tools across town when you're aching and tired from the rpevious hard day on the moors! It would be nice to be able to park safely and easily without worrying that you may be blocking someone else in.

-Toilets - most riders probably dont mind, but being a lady....porta loos are awful things! Proper toilets would be much appreciated.

-From my Grandparents point of view - it is too far for them to walk from any other car park in town to parc ferme and as a result of the west end being to crowded they have recently over the last few years missed out on a lot of the weigh in day action. This is a shame as they have supported the event for over 40 years and would love to still be able to share the magic with everyone else.

Rural Complex Pros

-More space for parking and support crews.

-Potential area for campers / motorhomes, this will make the SSDT more affordable for some people

-Toilet facilities will be better for both spectators and riders.

-Indoor area for trade stands would make it more desireable for traders to set up a stall and also easier to negotiate as a spectator

-There could be communal areas to sit and relax with a coffee or hot chocolate :D

Rural complex cons

-Indoor bike parking may take the edge of the SSDT being the ultimate test of man and machine, after all it was a great test of mental strength to stand out and drain the water from your bike in this years horrendous downpours.

-Taking the magic out of fort william, i have visited the Fort at other times of the year and it is eerily quiet with no SSDT fans there.

-Transport for those who normally walk to west end would be an issue, and also many riders like to roll off their bikes and into the pub!

-Too close to potential sections, I think too many riders would be tempted to ride up to leannachen on saturday morning for a practice.

Ok i'm tired of writing now, but as you can see from my thoughts above they are mainly associated with a spectators point of view and how the SSDT could be made better. Persoanally I dont think I am that bothered where the event starts. As long as the format of the event is still the same ie. good old traditional sections, no stop rules and we all have a good enjoyable six days of sport.

We will never know if the rural complex start would work unless it is tried and tested, so thats why it is difficult to make a decision. Stick with the well known tried and tested version or stick your neck on the line and try something new? who knows?!

Its a shame that this topic has had over 2000 views but so few votes in the poll. The numbers look interesting at the moment but the sample quantity is too small to mean much. Come on guys and girls lets get the numbers up and give Mark some real stats to discuss.

Oh and by the way. I'm coming round to the idea of staying where its and restricted parking in the west end for manufactures, traders and even some new things (its about time someone injected some more entertainment in to the carpark again). I love the idea of the school playground for spectators but not as much as closing the inside lane of the dual carriageway for the week. There's never a queue in both lanes for the north roundabout and it wouldn't need to be closed that far up anyway.

Edited by bigfoot

Still not voted as I'm not sure. Only a spectator, but I think moving the whole trial out of the centre would lose a lot of the atmosphere. If there was a really well sorted shuttle bus service a move could work well, giving the trade stands etc all the space they need and the town centre hotels the business that they need too.

What does the town centre business community think? Quote from the Visit Fort William site - "Lochaber is proud to host this prestigious annual international event, which is held in May and has been based in Fort William since the early part of last century".

Keep the local community engaged and happy and the trial will survive. Simples :wacko:

Am I missing something here?.

As far as I know there is no living accomodation at the Rural Complex, so Fort William hotels and B&Bs would still get the usual SSDT trade, the cafes and restaurants will still feed the masses and the pubs still be dispensing fine ales to competitors. SSDT fans can still walk down the high street and find that everyone there is from the world of trials ( since the High Street is full of tartan tat, charity shops and takeaways the locals will all be off shopping as usual in Oban, Inverness or Glasgow). The only difference would be the location of the start and finish of the trial and since everyone has had to get to Fort William in the first place it stands to reason that everyone must have access to some form of transport.

Can't see any real reason to move the location of the HQ either, bet Mairi would resist a move away from the sauna and sunlamps.

From the local councils point of view a move might be the best of both worlds - having the SSDT cash spent as usual and freeing up the West End car park for ordinary tourists and coaches, and with recession biting there are noticeably more ordinary punters around this year.

Understandably, a few posters are looking through their rose-tinted specs but the fact is that the days of huge local connections to "The Trials" are long gone.

Edited by bulltaco

Can't see any real reason to move the location of the HQ either, bet Mairi would resist a move away from the sauna and sunlamps.

You don't know me, do you? I'm the luminous green one that appears to be walking dead for most of the week.

Either that or you know me too well!!

You don't know me, do you? I'm the luminous green one that appears to be walking dead for most of the week.

Either that or you know me too well!!

When riding the SSDT one should always avoid the luminous green stuff, or you could be up to your neck in

Am I missing something here?.

As far as I know there is no living accomodation at the Rural Complex, so Fort William hotels and B&Bs would still get the usual SSDT trade, the cafes and restaurants will still feed the masses and the pubs still be dispensing fine ales to competitors. SSDT fans can still walk down the high street and find that everyone there is from the world of trials ( since the High Street is full of tartan tat, charity shops and takeaways the locals will all be off shopping as usual in Oban, Inverness or Glasgow). The only difference would be the location of the start and finish of the trial and since everyone has had to get to Fort William in the first place it stands to reason that everyone must have access to some form of transport.

From the local councils point of view a move might be the best of both worlds - having the SSDT cash spent as usual and freeing up the West End car park for ordinary tourists and coaches, and with recession biting there are noticeably more ordinary punters around this year.

Understandably, a few posters are looking through their rose-tinted specs but the fact is that the days of huge local connections to "The Trials" are long gone.

Well said bultaco, extremely sensible post and my sentiments entirely. D.

Well said bultaco, extremely sensible post and my sentiments entirely. D.

Strongly disagree.

I think that the decision makers in Fort William feel some kind of duty to maintain the long tradition of the Scottish Six Days Trial at the moment, even though revenues generated for the town are obviously lower than in the past.

In my view, a move out of town is, potentially, the first step out of the back door for the event. No longer in the forefront of the town's thoughts, how long would it be before the Police became less tolerant of the road traffic issues, how long before the trial had to route around the town and not through it, how long before Town Hall Brae is lost?

Before anyone scoffs about Town Hall Brae, take note of the trouble that the Isle of Man Government has taken to maintain the Governers Bridge section of the TT course, even though it is not part of the public roads any more. Throw some traditions out of the window at your peril - but you may be throwing the baby out with the bathwater.