What To Look For?

grahamjayzee

Hi All,

I think I need a change of bikes. My Rev3 is OK, but getting on a bit and to be honest, I've had enough of trying to get decent, non-binding brakes.

I know all the potential Beta issues, but if I change manufacturers, what are the known issues with the others? I accept that each make has strong and weak areas, but don't want to inherit a particular problem that I can't happily deal with.

So, Scorpa, Sherco and GasGas. What are their specific weak areas?

Thanks all

Graham

Hi All,

I think I need a change of bikes. My Rev3 is OK, but getting on a bit and to be honest, I've had enough of trying to get decent, non-binding brakes.

I know all the potential Beta issues, but if I change manufacturers, what are the known issues with the others? I accept that each make has strong and weak areas, but don't want to inherit a particular problem that I can't happily deal with.

So, Scorpa, Sherco and GasGas. What are their specific weak areas?

Thanks all

Graham

I have had Shercos and gassers a 4rt and now an evo. The Evo's brakes are fine and on a par with the others, and if you want to try the bike pop over to MK and give it a go.

Thanks Gareth,

How does it compare to the Beta, riding-wise? I have a 2001 Rev3 250 which has a fairly tame delivery (although nothing like as soft as my mate's 2004 bike). I can ride with a reasonably snappy delivery without issues, but don't like it dead soft. I got a gentle right hand so having the bike too soft sort of fights against my natural style. I used to ride a 260 zero back in the day and found it perfect for me.

How are the brakes? I've had a fair few problems with mine but have never felt the back brake was particularly good.

Thanks again

Graham

I had a 2001 Rev 3 and I liked it, but it did seem to loose grip very easily on slow slippy stuff. I remember trying my m8's GasGas at the time (never been a fan of GasGas) on the same sections and found that it gripped much better. This could have all been down to setup though.

I've often heared people say that the Rev3's are 'a bit wild'. My first Beta was a 240 '89 TR34 replica which I loved, after riding a few Monts (311, 314 & 315) I went back to Beta and the first of the Rev3's. I like the feeling of being 'inside' the bike that Beta gives you rather than being perched on top like the GasGas. I've had my '07 250 Sherco from new and I've not had any problems with it (apart from water in the airbox). Very well ballanced bike with great power delivery, suspension and brakes. I've never had any problems with any of the brakes on any of my bikes! Older Sherco's were a bit iffy!