Raf Lancaster Film

perce

Getting back to the original topic, and we all know these threads wander about, I'm trying to find a few shots of our flight on the last Lanc PA474 when we flew over the reservoirs around the back of Sheffield to honor the last few survivors of the Dams Raid by 617Squadron. I need to look back in my log book to see the exact date but in all my years on BBMF it was a truly fantastic experience to come over all 3 Dam walls at height you would not believe, and then fly on to RAF Marham where 617 was based and meet up with those heros whose exploits remain forever as part of Britain's heritage.

Sqn Ldr Tony Down BBMF

Oh yea, good job man, we are talking about nipple shots on the other thread now, you lucky bas---d!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still like round motors, and the A-26 hit it's mark, yet too late for WW-II!

I would like to thrash one next to a Mosquito, just to see what happened!

At least the wings did not rot! Still they ran them over twenty years till they fell off! Only thing comparable really!

Dripping oil in piston perfection! For some odd reason, the high performance twins have always fascinated me, include other sex machines like the P-38. As the big iron is just too sluggish from a pilots point of view, sort of like driving a tank.

Those jets in the clip cannot even maneuver at that speed down low, takes an A-10 or something to fly that route down the valley with true precision. ;)

A26 arrived in 1943

I was too breif in my comment, yet basically the war was over for the Germans by 1945.

The things seen little service comparitively.

Quote from the Wiki thing:

A-26s began arriving in Europe in late September 1944 for assignment to the Ninth Air Force. The initial deployment involved 18 aircraft and crews assigned to the 553rd Squadron of the 386th Bomb Group. This unit flew its first mission on 6 September 1944. The first group to fully convert to the A-26B was 416th Squadron which entered combat on 17 November, and the 409th became operational on the A-26 in late November.[11] Due to a shortage of A-26C variants, the groups flew a combined A-20/A-26 unit until deliveries of the glass-nose version caught up. Besides bombing and strafing, tactical reconnaissance and night interdiction missions were undertaken successfully. In contrast to the Pacific-based units, the A-26 was well received by pilots and crew alike, and by 1945, the 9th AF had flown 11,567 missions, dropping 18,054 tons of bombs, recording seven confirmed kills while losing 67 aircraft.

Not totally sure just how accurate all it is, Yet these things just carried on in multi roles! There is a nice pic on the wiki site of a later model, tip tanks, underslung wing mounts, viscious guns up front! All Balls and One Bad SOB!!

I was on one a few years back, checking it out, mind reeling, we need to start a flying club with one of these! NOT!

There is a saying, does not take fuel to keep an aircraft in the air, takes MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!! And as time goes on, it takes more and more of it to keep things in the air. Just crazy! And as time goes on, with all the old guys dieing off that know the planes, it becomes even more difficult.

;)

A few of us witnesses were privy enough to have a B-24 for a stayover at our local airport a few weeks ago. I had gone out to the airport late that Sunday as they were readying to leave.

I made no bother with the crew as they were busy, just sat back and watched. They were kind enough to give us few a nice takeoff roll with a good turn after achieving 2-300 feet and gear up.

They continued the turn at more than a mile out and in enough angle of bank at 30 or more degrees to give us a good topside view of the aircraft even a mile out, seemed like about 2-3 wingspans off the trees. Then came back across the center (where we were) still in the bank and the wing pointed down at us in the bank angle and folks waving from both ends.

Preparing for climbout, all 4 motors were up to power, and the sound was awesome. May be the best display I have ever seen with a heavy directly over my head almost! Quite impressive! :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 year later...

• 4 months later...

I heard that they fudged the code-name involving the black lab and are going to call it 'digger' instead but......still no show date?? :wall:

You can say "Nigger" y'know. It WAS the dog's name and is historically correct. :thumbup: