Bultaco Sherpa T M80 "restoration"

sunny

Always good to see a Bultaco saved from the breaker's yard and not just parted out for some parts. Although we always need some parts to keep our Bultacos in tip top form Sunny.

My first Bultaco was indeed that very model, a 1971 250cc Sherpa. In my opinion one of the strongest 250cc motors ever built by the factory.

Big John

(Bultaco fan!)

Where abouts do you live? I am from the lower mainland of BC and I am avidly into Bultaco's. In fact I had an M80 Sherpa for about 5 years that I rode in local competitions. One of the largest Bultaco parts suppliers in western North america is in Coquitlam ( Acme Bultaco). What he doesn't have he can get for you. If you would like any technical advice or assistance you can contact me steve.angela@shaw.ca

Steve

Edited by BultacoSteve

I live in Victoria on Vancouver Island. I think at one time these were popular bike here on the Island. I can remember as a kid my Dad had a Bultaco. One of the local shops told me about Acme but the number they gave me was incorrect. I would appreciate the contact info. I did find the shipping from Speed and Sport very resonable due to the fact they ship using USPS. This has been a good project with a degree of challenge in locating parts. I have learned a lot about the differnet mertic thread pitchs while trying to find parts to get the bike going before I started to throw $ at it. I would not consider my fix up a restoration but I am trying to pump a bit more life into the bike and leave it looking OK from 10 feet. I just spray bombed the parts and cleaned up stuff

Hi Sunny: I have riden trials Bultacos for the last 38 years and will continue doing it for 38 more.... Nice to see old Bultacos being restored. Model 80 is a rare one as it was only produced one year. It is the best Pre-72 trials bike for far. $ 150 Can. is nothing for that bike. Enjoy it.

This is the 1971 original catalogue:

• Like 1

Hola Greeves,

Great pictures, Sunny, well done. I hope you get enough snow free months to ride a few events. In 1972 I bought a 1970 Bultaco 250, not sure of the model number but it had a separate tank and seat with the silencer exiting the exhaust pipe up under the tank. I thought this motor pulled very well, and would rev out well too. It was, like Big John's bike, my first full time trials bike, we used to ride our bikes to the trials then, carrying petrol in a back pack to get home as the petrol stations were closed on a Sunday in Yorkshire back then - bit different now!

Bye, PeterB.

Hola Greeves,

Great pictures, Sunny, well done. I hope you get enough snow free months to ride a few events. In 1972 I bought a 1970 Bultaco 250, not sure of the model number but it had a separate tank and seat with the silencer exiting the exhaust pipe up under the tank. I thought this motor pulled very well, and would rev out well too. It was, like Big John's bike, my first full time trials bike, we used to ride our bikes to the trials then, carrying petrol in a back pack to get home as the petrol stations were closed on a Sunday in Yorkshire back then - bit different now!

Bye, PeterB.

That would have been a M49.

3766190770_8e86f22338_o.jpg

We actually get very little snow here being on the west coast our climate is much like a cooler/wetter northern California. The next project on the bike to paint the tank. I started sanding down the old layers of chipping paint. I think I will continue with the keep it simple and give it a quality spray bomb paint job. The next parts purchuse will have the rear brake shoes and possible a new hub as the pivot pin casting has a crack in it or maybe I can take to quality welder???

Thanks for the interest in my project I will try and continue to post updates and take photos as I go along

Dave I have read over your blog from start to finish great source of information

Actually Bultaco parts are really easy to get. Virtually everything is available for the M80. the only thing that is really hard to get is the rear triangle muffler for the bike. Keep an eye on ebay, they come up from time to time but are well over the 130 dollar mark. Any manuals or books can be purchased from Lynn and Dorothy Mobley in Nevada or Hughs Bultaco in new york. There were 2932 M80 Sherpa T's made. I have seen about half a dozen here on the west coast over the last 12 years. email me if you need any technical info or help with parts sourcing

bultacorider@msn.com

Steve

Does this Bultaco model have a spring that attaches from the brake pedal to the frame. I can see two holes for attachment so I assume one should be there. If one is required how long, diameter etc.?

Thanks again for all the comments and advice.

my M80 is # 518

BultacoSteve do you have the ACME contact info?

Thanks

Colin Hancock is the owner of Acme Bultaco. He will have almost any engine part you need and will be able to source brake pads and the like. Try his email it is as follows

acmebul@shaw.ca

Please email me for his phone number and I would be happy to forward it to you.

Thanks

steve

my email

bultacorider@msn.com

Does this Bultaco model have a spring that attaches from the brake pedal to the frame. I can see two holes for attachment so I assume one should be there. If one is required how long, diameter etc.?

Thanks again for all the comments and advice.

my M80 is # 518

BultacoSteve do you have the ACME contact info?

Thanks

Like this?

3794926663_4aca970d91.jpg