Gas Gas Reliability...

oggfueler

I'm looking through the older posts and find a few posts about reliability issues with the Gas Gas line.

Is this apparent in newer models or was this a older model issue?

If it's just one of those things where the owner needs to a lot of preventative maintenance then that's not so bad... but if it's one of those things where you need to stock up on extra parts like they're going out of style then it may be an issue.

There were problems with the original PRO bikes but by 2005 they had been ironed out. They are very light bikes and the environment you use them in is pretty dirty so you do need to keep an eye on things like screw and Bolt tension, leaks, and bearings. Generally the ones we have had have been pretty reliable.

Have had a 03 Pro since new and is coming up to seven years old in October and is still running a treat. We had a 2004 Pro that did 2 Scotts and at present have a 2007 250Pro that has done 1 Scott, 2 SSDT's, various nationals, centre trials and club trials and is still going strong.

Don't be put off buying a GG Pro.

The harder i ride it the more i break stuff but the stuff i break (levers, plastic, external stuff, ect...) is on ever bike out there and will break when i ride. My gasgas has never caused me to not finish an event. I am biased towards the brand but anything will break. What i like is that the stuff on a gasgas is relatively universal (brakes, levers, bolts). Change your oil, lube the swing arm bushings and keep an eye on the water pump seal (throught the provided window) and you will have a lot of fun on one of these.

--Biff

excellent bikes had no prob's with them over last 7 years! highly recomend 1 ,there same as any other bike need looked after to keep them reliable!!.dont listen to these people dont no what there talking about!! just get 1 :thumbup:

By posting your question in the GasGas forum you will get a biased response :dunce:

I had 3 good Gassers...... then they brought out the Pro :crying: , I don't know what the latest Pros are like but the early ones had a terrible VD called :

'Box-itis' i.e. problems with the air-box , middle-box or gear-box.

But I can't deny that they're a great ride but as always with a great ride :thumbup: you run the risk of developing the pox afterwards!!!

Thanks for the responses guys... I like the reassursance I'm getting.

I originally posted this thread in the general section but it got moved here...makes sense though as it is model specific... even though these replies come from Gas Gas owners, I'm sure these are open minded and objective. :thumbup:

One other advantage that Gas Gas has over many of the other trials bikes - is that it is made by a much larger company, that sells many more motorcycles throughout the world. Larger and more diversified companies can survive economic downturns better than smaller companies. They can afford higher R & D expenditures. They will likely stay in business for many more years than much smaller manufacturers, thus assisting in the supply of any replacement parts, and accumulated knowledge of the riders and mechanics.

Scorpa was so small, it could even afford professional riders/promoters. I believe this hastend its bankruptcy last week.

One other advantage that Gas Gas has over many of the other trials bikes - is that it is made by a much larger company, that sells many more motorcycles throughout the world. Larger and more diversified companies can survive economic downturns better than smaller companies. They can afford higher R & D expenditures. They will likely stay in business for many more years than much smaller manufacturers, thus assisting in the supply of any replacement parts, and accumulated knowledge of the riders and mechanics.

Scorpa was so small, it could even afford professional riders/promoters. I believe this hastend its bankruptcy last week.

That weighs heavily in my decision making since I'm living on an island.

If Scorpa had beeb on the same scale as Gas Gas that would've been great... I was looking really hard at the Long Ride models.

Hi, I only came back to trials in January after a 21 year break, did loads of homework on the web and went to a local dealer he said they need quite a bit of maintenance and they are a bit of a handful and suggested a second hand Beta he had (kick start on the left no thanks) and a lot of people I spoke to said the same but me being me I bought a 2004 pro280 and its the best trials bike I have ever owned and the only fault with it so far is a set of rear bearings and when I fell off and broke a clutch lever apart from that it has never missed a beat and I love it.

I have owned a number of different bikes here is my experience. Rev 3 Beta, build quality very good with good components and longevity BUT carb, stator ect junk so not reliable but well built. Beta Evo had great potential I thought BUT no change to stator, carb issues now add lots breakages, frames, wheel bearings, swingarms, looks the part but isn't. GasGas 09 not the same build quality as Beta, spokes rust, bolts rust ,also broken swingarms and don't age as well BUT reliable with no carb issues or electric gremlins. I now own an 07 280 pro which is great never an issue and as it was cheaper than new I have blinged it up for little money i.e stainless steel bolts, anodized spokes, suspension ect. To summarize GASGAS was my choice because of reliability issues with Beta's, I took care of the things I didn't like spokes ect. I think that the 2010 gas gas might be nice with the improved aesthetics I mean why would you make a trials bike red and white, just not smart but black and red nice. Good luck hope it helps