Trials Accidents

ride_dirt

last sunday i was at a local trials advent when i had a very nasty crash.

Why don't you tell us what your rider number was and what club you're a member of?

As far as I know you appeared at the trial unknown, unentered and uninvited and rode around like a loon until you gave the paramedics something to do on a Sunday. Anti-social and not very bright.

If you take my advice you'll use your period off work and games to have a think about how you could have gone about things in a slightly more responsible manner. It's no problem and little expense to join a club and the ACU. Do that and you can come and ride at all the trials in your area. Come and offer your services as an observer if you don't want to jump straight in. Then have a go at some real sections rather than razzing around - you'll find plenty to get your adrenalin going.

If you feel guilty about it (which you should imo) don't dwell on it too much - we've all done stupid things which we regret in hindsight. I would suggest if you do want to get involved on an official basis - apologise to the club (I can tell you who to email), claim to be a reformed man and go from there.

Hope you get better soon and rebuild the Monty.

Why don't you tell us what your rider number was and what club you're a member of?

As far as I know you appeared at the trial unknown, unentered and uninvited and rode around like a loon until you gave the paramedics something to do on a Sunday. Anti-social and not very bright.

If you take my advice you'll use your period off work and games to have a think about how you could have gone about things in a slightly more responsible manner. It's no problem and little expense to join a club and the ACU. Do that and you can come and ride at all the trials in your area. Come and offer your services as an observer if you don't want to jump straight in. Then have a go at some real sections rather than razzing around - you'll find plenty to get your adrenalin going.

If you feel guilty about it (which you should imo) don't dwell on it too much - we've all done stupid things which we regret in hindsight. I would suggest if you do want to get involved on an official basis - apologise to the club (I can tell you who to email), claim to be a reformed man and go from there.

Hope you get better soon and rebuild the Monty.

i have join norwich vikings and was not awear that i was able to ride in the actual contest due to not having my acu licence through the post yet.

being told i could ride at the end of the event as was a new place so thought i would have a look around when this happened. this was not by being a fool or messing around but a case of bad luck when going through the woods and hitting a tree stump. i was at the time riding with 1 of the event orginisers who was also doing the same as me.

i have thanked the club for the help they gave me and appoligised for my bad language when i was injured and i know i now have to make up for it and have some respect to gain.

i dont want everyone to remember me as the idiot who was messing around as i hope to come down to either veiw or ride when able.

Edited by ride_dirt

...let us know of your worst moments and the good endings.

andy

My one serious trials accident happened a couple of years ago - It was my first practice ride of the year after a long winter break. I was practicing on a friend's property (in Wisconsin, USA), in early spring, the snow had melted and the ground was soft. I rode my practice sections pretty hard for a couple of hours. I was about to ride some of the rockyer practice sections, but I had collected a good amount of mud on my tires. So I thought I would fling some of it off by quickly riding through an open field at a fast pace. About 98% of the tall weed in the field had been flattened down by the previous Winter's five feet of snow, so it appeared to be clear sailing through this field (about the size of a football field). It turned out that there was one rock in this field, about a foot high, hidden by a tuft of weeds that were not flattened by the winter's snow. I was running flat out in 5th (and thinking to myself "Hey this bike really runs great with fresh fuel!" - when I felt the front wheel bang into the triple clamps. I thought "This is not a good sign". The next thing I knew the rear tire flipped up and smacked me in the lower back and spit me over the handlebars. I was airborn for quite a ways, and landed on the "soft" ground on my right arm and shoulder. As I was sliding across the field on my shoulder, I looked back at my bike. It was still cartwheeling, and with each rotation the bike landed on its front wheel, compressed the front forks, rebounded, and did another forward loop. I ended up with a broken arm and a partially torn rotator cuff, and other torn muscles in my shoulder and back. The rotator cuff took about 8 months to heal, with physical therapy. It is not as strong as it was, but I am getting older too. I missed most of the riding season that year.

• 3 weeks later...

I ride my 300 in the backcountry only, sometimes at a pretty good clip. The sharp steering helps to avoid loose rocks than can get you---as long as you see them. The other constant danger is clipping a solid rock hidden in the grass beside the trail with a foot-- many ankles ruined this way. Your feet are lower than on an mx bike, so it is more dangerous.

The best insurance policy is respect. Bikes are very easy on your body in general, and it's easy to get cocky. I try to fight that. When you have not fallen for a long time--besides small falls, you start to think it can't happen. Wrong.

All motorcycles are dangerous. However I would say bicycle riding in an urban area is even more so.

I was once very badly injured on my RM250 in 1975-- lost 75% of my liver. That's what got me into trials. When I got out of the hospital after 6 weeks I was too weak to ride my RM 250 (I had lost 50lbs) At the bike shop they had a new RL250 for 450.00. I bought it.

About 5 years later I stopped riding for many years-- took up kayaking.

Now I've been riding again for 7 years, quite a bit, because we have such incredible trails around here. In that time I've had a few scary get-offs, with one tweaked ankle and a near concussion in two different incidents.

I love it, but I try to pay very sharp attention.

Yesterday: (took my KTM, my buddy on his yammy 450)

P1130285.jpg

P1130296.jpg

P1130311.jpg

P1130328.jpg

P1130329.jpg

P1130334.jpg

P1130341.jpg

Edited by uhoh7