Which Oil Is Best For Beta 80?

mickmc

i have been using putoline mx7, but local motorbike accessories shop only stocks silkolene, and he thinks it's just as good and has better range

would silkolen comp 2premix synthetic esther be good enough to replace the putoline once i've ran it down, or would you stick with the putoline

thanks in advance

Don't use fully synthetic, trials bikes don't rev high enough for long enough to burn it off properly, you will just end up with black gunk in the exhaust which will probably drip out somewhere and also clog up the exhaust packing. Use any semi synthetic premix.

Any good full synthetic is preferred. I disagree with the above statement that full synthetics cause splouge. Its running overly rich oil ratio's that cause that. Full synthetics are more popular for trials due to the fact that they can be run very lean/clean and still maintain excellent motor protection.

I've used exactly that "silkolen comp 2 premix synthetic" in my lads Beta 50, Sherco 80, and my 290, for 6 years now. It's the best running Sherco I know of - 6 years from new real good hammering carrying my hefty load through the expert route, not even a new set of rings yet. The Beta ran really well on it too.

I mix it about 80:1 and does me proud.

Any good full synthetic is preferred. I disagree with the above statement that full synthetics cause splouge. Its running overly rich oil ratio's that cause that. Full synthetics are more popular for trials due to the fact that they can be run very lean/clean and still maintain excellent motor protection.

The uk importers of Beta and Sherco have both advised me in the past to use semi synthetic and not full synthetic. I'll stick with semi!

The uk importers of Beta and Sherco have both advised me in the past to use semi synthetic and not full synthetic. I'll stick with semi!

Is that just for the smaller ones then? I've never seen Rathmell recommend anything other than synthetic, but I suppose I've never asked about the 80.

It's definitely worth checking. Sherco recommend K2 which is fully synthetic. I'm fairly sure Rathmell recommends Ipone fully synthetic.

Semi-synthetic in the gearbox, fully synthetic pre-mix.

Sold the sherco (125) about three years ago and can't remember exactly when I spoke rathmells' but I was using fully synthetic at the time and they told me to change to semi. Asked the same question to lampkins when we bought a 80 in 03 and again in 06 with the 125 and 250 with the same advice. The best thing to do is call and ask Beta UK, they have always been very helpful and free with advice.