Tl250 Don't Idle

brian r

sounds like you have cleaned carb well.take out air screw i use wd40 with red pipe on to make sure it comes out in 2 places.through pilot jet and small hole back of slide. also points set at 12 thou.also if it smokes may be piston rings sticking.or air leak on inlet manifold.

:huh:

if it is a Honda TL 250 4 stroke 1975/76, then it is important that the ignition is set properly: distance of the breaker 3-4mm, check timing with a stroboscopic flash, check, that the mechanical advancer works.

Mine had something in the exhaust, be sure, exhaust can breath freely

Do you mean idling at low revs or it does not turn in high revs?

Good luck from a Swiss

Patrick

Hi Pat,

It revs fine, it just won't sit and idle and needs constant blipping of the throttle. It's close but no cigar.

I'll pull the carb again. I need to pull the 125 carb and clean it anyhow. I need to play with the Beta carb too.

Maybe I'll have one big carb playing day!

• 7 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

Hy HondaTrials

I fitted an Oko 24mm carb with power jet (deactivated) today, bought at ebay from Taiwan. Fits the inlet rubber, but to the airbox I found an old Montesa rubber (49mm instead of 42). After some trial and errors, the engine works quite well now. Slow jet 38 (like Keihin original) and main 112. I had to hang the needle at top clip (leanest) position. It starts easily and pulls at low revs. On the first street test, it is quite good, but not reving totally high, but pulls quite strongly now til 4/5 gas. I started with a 115, then 120, then 110, now 112 main jet. Trial test to follow soon.

Does your TL rev up like a cross engine? or is there kind of a limit ?

Regards

Patrick

Edited by Trial Pat

• 3 weeks later...