2001 Rev 3, Rear Sus Seems Sloppy

blackrandomapple

i let a mate have a go on my bike the other day and noticed when he is riding it the bike seemed really low compared to others,

Is this a case of just making the spring tighter??

Cheers in advance! :lol:

Is he heavier than you ? If so, it probably dosnt matter.

How much static sag is in it(weight of bike) ? These springs can be adjusted to take out some sag, you know.

If it is sagging more than an inch or so, might tighten it up a bit. Close to two inches of axle travel is probably too much! :lol:

It does look a tad low, wind on a bit of preload on the back, will get you a c-spanner from work. We'll have a look at it tomorrow and compare it to Naths.

Did you get a spanner? i have done it with a hammer and screwdriver (doh) but might be a good tool to take out so i can tweek it!

How ridiculous, when someone said leave it slack it will help with traction. It will not. If this was the case the bikes would come out of the factory like that. Jeez.

Springing holds your bike up off the ground and allows the wheel to move. Damping controls the motion and this effects traction.

You may have good traction with slack suspension but this is only because you prefer how the damping has more effect because you have let the spring have less effect. Go and wind the spring up and, at the same time, increase the rebound damping.

If you can't get your shock to go slow enough for your taste then it is likely your shock needs a rebuild.

Suspension needs to ONLY have 1/3 sag when you stand on it..... so 1/3 of 160mm rear travel is 53mm sag from fully extended. Have a friend help measuring this. Then adjust the damping to slow things down and keep the wheel in check (read keep traction).

You may like it, but if you are riding with slack suspension you are not riding the best setup bike. You have adapted, and you are fooling yourself it is better.

From what I have heard, which is like the setup of any bike, the front and rear should compress evenly when you hop up and down. I've also heard the 1/3 of the travel when loaded and test both ends for balance by pressing down on the center of the bike and check. If you get it at 1/3 travel and can jump up and down and make it bottom then likely stiffer springs are needed.

Edited by mrkartoom

Yup. 1/3 front and back.

Note that if you have to put lots and lots of turns into the preload it is likely you need a stronger spring for your weight.

Note 2.... but wait there is more..... shocks and forks need servicing at regular intervals. Some riders should get a rear shock rebuilt every year and others every 3-4yrs.