1974 Montesa Cota247-t

morgan_horn

Hello,

My name is Morgan, I am 23, and live in Saskatchewan Canada. I was recently at a garage sale and saw an old bike, thinking it was a Honda Elsinore from behind. Got closer, realized it was a Montesa, owner asked me if I would like top buy it. I replied, "no, I don't have that kind of money", he laughed and said, "For $40 she is yours." So I bought it. It seems to be in decent shape, however it is missing a few bits and pieces. He had told me it did not have spark, and upon further inspection I found that the points are not opening up. So I have located replacement points and a condensor. My first question is, does anyone know where I can get flywheel puller to suit the 1974 Montesa cota247-T?

Thank you so very much in advance. And thank you for a such a great website!

Morgan

mine.JPG

mine3.JPG

Great buy. You can't go wrong for $40 bucks. About the puller ... go on E-Bay and enter flywheel puller. Get one from Heartland Industries, they are well made. See note below from John Haberbosch's web site (RMMontesa).

Flywheel Removal

Montesa flywheels are fastened onto a tapered shaft. The woodruff key is only a location device. It is used for location purposes for ignition timing. The key does nothing else. There are 2 flywheel pullers for all vintage Montesa flywheels. They thread into the flywheel with right hand threads. The flywheel nut, on the other hand, is a left-hand threaded fastener. The two sizes are 27mm x 1.25 thread pitch and 30mm x 1.5 thread pitch. You must have the engine number to order the correct one. There was a change in at least one model from one to the other during its production.

If you find a part number in a parts book that doesn

• 7 months later...

Hi Morgan

guess you have sorted this now, but if not, make a puller, I had same problem and no money, so make a puller from a couple of bits of flat bar, and a big bolt, worked well, still have it 30yrs on (not sure why)....Good luck

Graeme