Suspension Linkage Bearings

tombo46

can anyone tell me how I go about changing the bearings in my suspension linkage? can the "dog bones" be taken off without having to mess about with the swingarm etc? does anything need to be removed?

All the best

Tom

Hi Tombo, yes the "the dog bones" can be removed without taking the swinging arm out and there is two triangular shaped flat links as well that will need to come off, or they did on my `04 280 pro unless the newer bikes have a different design.

Regards.

also, the bearings are well and truly stuck in the dog bones, is it possible to buy the dog bones complete with the bearings? is it alot more money?

thanks for the help people.

Tom

Not sure the difference buying the dogbone complete, but they are not difficult to press in and out using long sockets, one to fit the outer diameter of the bearing outer race and a larger one to hold the dogbone end and press the bearing into.

Also be sure to check the bearing in the lower part of the swingarm, it's often forgotten. Don't try to hammer it out from one side, there are two "tophat" bushings that fit in either side. Use a sharp edge punch to catch one in the center of the swingarm bore and drive it out. Look inside the swingarm bushings and you'll see a dividing line in the center (that's where the "top" of the hats meet), that's where you need to catch the end of the bushing opposite you and slowly drive it out the other side.

Jon

Edited by JSE