Checking Out/ Replacing My Kickstart Gears - How Do I Do It

geordabroad

Can anyone tell me the best way to check my kickstart gears? As I mentioned in an earlier post this week, it is exhibiting problems and sometimes is difficult to engage or doesn't seem to be meshing properly. It always springs back, so it's not the spring. I reckon there may be a broken tooth, as I have been giving it too much abuse trying to get the bike going while it had broken woddruff key, etc. etc.

I presume I have to drain the oil from the engine and remove side casing after disengaging the water pump (I now know there's no need to drain, but its already done as I have the engine apart to replace my piston.)

Silly question I know but - What I don't know is how many different oils there is in the bike? I think just the main engine oil, but some posts have got me thinking there's more than 1, probably 'cause they're saying gearbox and engine oil. Surely not 2 oils? Also, from what I've been reading on the forum, it seems that I may have to remove the clutch to get at the kickstart gears if there are teeth missing and I need to replace the gears - how can I do that? I read you shouldn't just use a socket and hold the clutch basket as it might crack or snap... but I'm not sure I can get access to impact driver/ air ratchet type device here in Beijing. Any suggestions?

I know there are a few videos as well (though whether I can access YouTube at present is a big question - I think it's been blocked until after the Chinese 60th Anniversary in October for security reasons...) ... do you know which video covers this area?

Cheers

Ian

Hi

You gain access to kickstart gears you have to remove the clutch basket. First thing is of course to remove the clutch cover. Take care not to loose the thin shim on the kick start axle. It usually stick to the clutch cover and if not taken care of it will be gone. Often first time when reassembly a lot think that the shim is for the clutch piston and put it in the wrong place.

When removing clutch cover you dont have to remove the water hoses from the water pump and the hydraulic hose from the clutch. Just put them aside when working. If you lay the bike on the side you dont have to drain the oil either.

The clutch basket is held by one allen - i think it is 4mm or maybe 5mm. Any allen tool will be ok, but be sure to use a fresh key/bit so you dont destroy the bolt.

When removed check the teeths on the kickstart and the idle gear that is the small gear between the kickstart and the clutch basket. It is common that the teeths on the idle gear is worn on the inside, and just a wery little wear here causes noise and a possible problem with engaging the kickstart. If it looks bad replace it. If it is hardly noticeable you can try to grind away any notches.

Also check the tension spring on the kick axle. Its the "funny looking" spring with an "ear" that goes around the axle and the ear into the engine goods. If it looks or feel bendt/not tight replace it.

To remove the kickstart axle first remove the idle gear. Take care of the shims one at each side of the gear. Then twist the kick clockwise so the teeths come clear and pull it right out.

To reassembly it put the spring end into the hole in the engine, twist the axle one round counterclockwise (if I remember correctly) and then push it into place. Needs som "twiggeling". Use the kickstart as a tool.

Engine oil and gearbox oil is the same, but the most correct is gearbox oil as the oil lubricates the gearbox and the clutch. The "engine" though - meaning cylinder/piston/crank - is lubricated by the two stroke oil in the gasoline.

Hope this helps. Just ask if there is any more..

-Jan

Gents

took clutch cover off and had a look. Small pieces of tooth all over the bottom of the cover and magnetic plug absolutely covered in bits and fur.

1. Obviously there has been some breaking of something somewhere. On closer inspection it seems the heads of the bolts holding the clutch on have been grinding a gorrove into the clutch casing that I just removed... there are identical cuts into the material the same diameter as the bolt heads and the bolt heads are sharp at the edges. It's even cut a groove into the round section near the oil window in the cover - weird, as the bolts are all GG bolts with GG written on the heads.

your thoughts on that would be appreciated.

2. Second question is: after removing the allen key bolt in the centre of the clutch, how do you remove the basket? I don't want to use lever against the clutch basket to force it upward but it seems pretty well fixed in position, but I need to remove to check the kickstart gears as I'm pretty sure they need replacing.

Any help gratefully received.

Ian

Hi guys

got the clutch basket off... saw an old post by Jan and he said use a few screw drivers so I did and it worked.

Still wondering about the damage to the case though, so if anyone's got any suggestions I'd be interested. Had the clutch apart and everything looks fine, although there is damage to the kickstart gear.

Cheers

Ian