Rear Suspension Feel

gaz

The back end of my bike is feeling abit flat. I only really noticed when i had a go on my mates gasser this sunday, and it felt really good and bouncy.

All the bearings etc are ok although I couldnt get the bushes out of the top and bottom of the shock (i assumed they were pressed in????)

The damping screw is wound fully out and i have the sag set up nice. Is this just how rev 3's are?

Before anyone asks, its not causing a concern with my riding, there just was a noticable difference between the bikes.... and to be honest i prefered my mates!

Right here is your work to do list.....

Do you have any slack in the shock bushings? If yes replace them/it. The bushings have a very thin (read tiny) C-clip holing them in from both sides!.

Do you have 1/3 sag when stood on your bike? If not go readjust it so only 1/3 of the travel is used up when you stand on the bike. This stops the bike from settling into it's slow part of its stroke as default!

How heavy are you? Bikes come out the factory set up for a 75-80kg rider. So if you are over 90-95kg you will need a heavier rear spring.

You need damping to maintain rear wheel traction. For this you should keep some rebound damping. I suggest you screw the rebound damping screw in until it slows down noticeably, then back it out a little to get the quicker action you were looking for. Again make sure you adjust for 1/3 as above.

Does your rear shock need a service?. If you screw in the rebound adjuster and the rebound doesn't slow down then you should have your shock serviced. These things take a hammering and need oil changing regularly.

Ralphy

[quote name='NZRalphy' date='Sep 7 2009, 07:19 PM' post='211294'

Do you have any slack in the shock bushings? If yes replace them/it. The bushings have a very thin (read tiny) C-clip holing them in from both sides!. = the bushings are in well tight! cant even pull the bushes of the shock! (i was wondering if this was the problem?)

Do you have 1/3 sag when stood on your bike? If not go readjust it so only 1/3 of the travel is used up when you stand on the bike. This stops the bike from settling into it's slow part of its stroke as default! = sag is set to this already. My weight is approx 75kg give or take a good curry!

I suggest you screw the rebound damping screw in until it slows down noticeably = the screw is wound fully out, anymore and it will come out.

Does your rear shock need a service? = possibly, the bike is an 08. Is an eighteen month service cycle the norm for these? or as liviob mentioned the nitrogen charge has gone? how is this tested?

gaz

the bushings are in well tight! cant even pull the bushes of the shock! (i was wondering if this was the problem?)

gaz

The pieces that you are talking about are inserts that go into each side of a spherical bearing that is pressed into each end of the shock. They are a very slight press fit but are really a pain to get out without a blind bearing puller. Here in the States you can buy a lower cost set of the pullers from Rocky Mountain ATV and the cost is about what replacing the spacers is if you try some um.....creative ways to get them out. (and yes I know this from experiance). :huh:

As to your original question, I think it's mainly a function of the leverage ratios and the geometry of the bike. I've noticed that folks that have quite a bit of experinace and have the technique down pat can hop a Rev3 about as well as any other bike. But, newbees (and old farts like me), seem to have a much easier time of it on other brands.

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDet...dFamilyId=20342