Worth It?

voleurz

I got a 02 sherco 290,

I it needs a bit of work still to get it into what is basically new shape, I already got new linkage bearings and it has a new top and bottom end,

but the transmission is missing 5th gear and the rear master cylinder leaks and will need to be replaced.

I don't compete or ride the super tech trials stuff I just go cruise up gnarly hiking trails to go to remote areas (more enduro style riding..) So I don't need the latest and greatest I just need something good reliable. Are the newer bikes that much better to justify the costs or should I fix what I have?

I got a 02 sherco 290,

I it needs a bit of work still to get it into what is basically new shape, I already got new linkage bearings and it has a new top and bottom end,

but the transmission is missing 5th gear and the rear master cylinder leaks and will need to be replaced.

I don't compete or ride the super tech trials stuff I just go cruise up gnarly hiking trails to go to remote areas (more enduro style riding..) So I don't need the latest and greatest I just need something good reliable. Are the newer bikes that much better to justify the costs or should I fix what I have?

Brake repair kits are cheap, and even with a gearbox issue, there is seldom nothing that a few bucks will not fix to keep it in good shape and still a very competitive bike! :D

Brake repair kits are cheap, and even with a gearbox issue, there is seldom nothing that a few bucks will not fix to keep it in good shape and still a very competitive bike! :D

Yeah, I think I'm just fooling myself thinking I need a newer bike to put around on trails.

this will do the same job.

thanks

I got a 02 sherco 290,

my brother had the same problem, he had rebuilt with the free wheeling cog wrong way round, try flipping the cog so the dog can engage.

hope this helps.

if in doubt look at the parts lists, they show correct orientation.

my brother had the same problem, he had rebuilt with the free wheeling cog wrong way round, try flipping the cog so the dog can engage.

hope this helps.

if in doubt look at the parts lists, they show correct orientation.

Yeah, I'm going to see what the shop would charge for it when I get some money. I'm not in the mood to open up a crank case.

if it is too outrageous then I will do it myself.