Boot Care

brightmix

Hi

I am just wondering how best to look after my Gaerne boots. I wash them after every outing but just leave them to dry naturally.

Should I be applying wax or dubbin to the boots to prelong their life or is that likely to screw up the waterproofing?

Any advice welcomed!

Mike

In my experience....

Wax creates a top layer of protection on the leather as well as maintaining the suppleness of the leather. If you don't wax eventually the leather will dry out and crack. I could liken this top level of protection to that of 'proofing' a waterproof jacket, it causes the water to run off before it even gets to the material.

If you keep a boot well waxed even when the waterproof membrane goes - which it will - the boot will still remain water proof.

Wax shouldn't be confused with dubbing which in my experience makes leather too soft, good for an italian loafers not good for a boot thats supposed to be supporting and protecting you. Also I've seen over application of dubbing cause seperation of the fibres in the leather which can also cause cracking.

A good wax I've used is Grangers G-Wax which is available from most walking shops.

The rotting stitching idea comes from when most boots were made using cotton threads which do indeed rot, these days mostly man made threads are used, such as nylon, due to their better strength and water repellent abilities. These don't rot with dubbing or wax.

:D