Ajs Stormer Advice

andy.t

• 4 months later...

Managed to get a half hour on the Stormer today.Runs well with the 38mm Amal mk2 on,jetting is close.

I had a 390 in and plug was a bit lean,going up to 400 for next time.

Starts much easier and pulls well.

Airbox is a bit heath/robinson though,used the standard filter and just blanked off the rear of the carb with a square of corugated plastic and the sidepanels block it in.A work in progress I think.

• 1 year later...

Andy I used to ride twinshock MX back in the day. Everybody used Castrol R30 or R40 as it was one of only things that was any good at the time. I have never seen it used as gear oil on a 2 stroke, we all used it as pre mix oil at about 20:1, Castrol made gear oil for 2 strokes at the time call Castrolight,which was really light. So most people used that. Could be that the R40 is to thick for your gearbox as I remember it being quite gooey, but ahh the smell (takes me back).

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Thought you might like some actual period images of the AJS scramblers, taken from my offroadarchive, so here are a couple taken at the 1969 ITV World of Sport Trophy at Tilton.

On the left is Andy Roberton and on the right Jimmy Aird.

Enjoy.

Incidentally to get the lightest clutch action, in the day, many tuners used automatic transmission fluid in the primary chaincases.

post-19290-0-62308600-1388913088_thumb.jpg

post-19290-0-29204700-1388913118_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387