New Model From Montesa..... When?

jonny042

Don't know if we will have Montesa or Honda in the future ,but I for one am very happy with my 2005 model . I have read the posts and would like to confirm that grip was a problem for me also to begin with .

I tried a different riding style and with practice did improve the grip feeling. BUT I still had a Hero (0) or Zero (5) point were if I was very exact with the throttle control I was a Hero ,but if I was just a little off then I turned into a Zero lost grip and could not gain it back.

I solved this problem (for me and my riding style) by installing the two stage PTB, with the help and advice from several folks on this site and other Montesa riders and dealers . I came up with a setting that I love . I can get grip in slick conditions ,loose it ( by poor control) and gain it back . I keep the idle set at 1800 rpm ,and it does lug like a two stroke . It did take some time to figure out how to change the settings (fuel & ignition)to get the desired results (I think I tried about ten changes ) some better than others ,(three steps forward one step back) .

I believe that Honda provided this option thinking it would allow the Bike to be adjusted to suit all riders . I also know that many riders would not want to have to make changes to a Bike that does cost more than most ,( so perhaps they were a little ahead of their time ) but now that the same basic system is on the 250 & 450 MX bikes more people will become more knowledgeable and be able to improve the STD programs .

So for me I hope they ( Montesa/Honda) are still going to be available in the future ,if not as long as spares are available I will continue to enjoy my 4rt .

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:)

The only time I have had an issue with getting the 4rt to grip was when I first got it. The event had a lot of frosty & wet grass. It was ME though, not the bike, as other riders on them were making the section look easy. No excuses! I now found mine grips better than the past 2 Scorpa's i've owned.

There is a technique to riding them which comes with experience. Riding a 2 stroke you can FEEL the bike gripping where as with the Mont it is a little more 'numb'. It's about understanding what gear to be in and where on the rev range to be (usually a gear lower, lower to mid revs).

99% of the time it's the rider and not the bike..... very sorry to say!

• 1 year later...

Surely the 4RT is getting ready for replacement?

As brilliant as it is, it's time HRC/Mont replaced it with a direct injected two stroke less 25 or 30 pounds. Maybe I'll start a petition.

Well bringing this back from the dead......... lots of time has passesd, but there is a glimmer of hope:

From the FIM Website:

The Japanese Trial Grand Prix at Motegi welcomed a very special guest. Mr. Takanobu Ito, Chief Executive Officer of Honda Motor, was an interested visitor at the Motegi World Trials. Mr. Ito spent some time with the Repsol Montesa team and enjoyed the opportunity to speak with current FIM Trial World Champion Toni Bou and his Japanese teammate Takahisa Fujimani. Mr. Ito confirmed that a new trial model was in the works and confirmed hes desire to renew the contract with current World Champion Toni Bou.

Anyone know any more?

Next year development bike new team bike 2012, not a two stroke honda don't make those.

Hey Nigel can you elaborate a bit? Does this mean we as potential consumers will see the development happen next year by Bou, Fuji, et al and then can buy one in the fall or is that not what you mean?

Thanks for whatever info you can provide. I'm a big fan of the Montesa and for one think that the technology exists (and certainly Mont/HRC have the engineering power) to build a fantastic 4 stroke trials bike.

Hey Nigel can you elaborate a bit? Does this mean we as potential consumers will see the development happen next year by Bou, Fuji, et al and then can buy one in the fall or is that not what you mean?

Thanks for whatever info you can provide. I'm a big fan of the Montesa and for one think that the technology exists (and certainly Mont/HRC have the engineering power) to build a fantastic 4 stroke trials bike.

You don't sound like a "big fan" here. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=931963

Edited by for artie

Friend of a friend thing but possibly new bike 2010 which no one will see then bou specisl in 2012 then new bike in the fall 2012.

You don't sound like a "big fan" here. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=931963

No, I am a big fan. Big enough that I really wish I could buy a newer, better, lighter one. I feel like a traitor riding the Gasser.

If I sound critical it's due to the fact that the 4RT's day has come and gone, I'm just comparing to the latest crop of bikes.

No, I am a big fan. Big enough that I really wish I could buy a newer, better, lighter one. I feel like a traitor riding the Gasser.

If I sound critical it's due to the fact that the 4RT's day has come and gone, I'm just comparing to the latest crop of bikes.

Fair enough. The 4RT is overdue for and model revamp. Disagree that its day has come and gone. its still a great clubman bike and all the 4rt's and 315's will still be running strong years from now when all the 150 lb bikes are in the scrap bin.

Fair enough. The 4RT is overdue for and model revamp. Disagree that its day has come and gone. its still a great clubman bike and all the 4rt's and 315's will still be running strong years from now when all the 150 lb bikes are in the scrap bin.

That's why I buy 4RT! I got a little fed up of continually fixing the others I have owned!

As "Munch" said right at the start in 2005 "4RT - Quality Worth Waiting For" He was right!

Big John

Yes, you are probably right. For me, the tradeoff of robustness for light weight was worth it, but for the average guy riding at a club level who likes to (or needs to) keep his bike for a number of years the 4RT is still a great option. I bought mine used (and paid too much), sold it two years later (for not enough) and still it really didn't cost me much in depreciation. And nearly zero running costs.

But still, fingers crossed for a new one, maybe Honda will eat crow with the 2 stroke thing. IIRC they are still making 2-stroke MX bikes, and the reality of direct injection is that a 2 stroke can actually be lighter, cleaner, cheaper, and smaller than a 4-stroke.

The 4rt is so not out of date at all and suposeing honda never made a new one for 5 years it would still be ok i dont follow the world rounds but i think fuji won the world round in fort william not so long agow and im prety sure he is rideing a montesa 4rt.

Great bikes the build quality is 2nd to none it is the best made bike out there it rides like a dream and feels like your rideing an army tank. Honda nailed it with the 4rt there was no need to add a 300cc kit or mess about with any thing on it.

All i need to do is feed it petrol and give it the odd oil change.

The 4rt is so not out of date at all and suposeing honda never made a new one for 5 years it would still be ok i dont follow the world rounds but i think fuji won the world round in fort william not so long agow and im prety sure he is rideing a montesa 4rt.

Great bikes the build quality is 2nd to none it is the best made bike out there it rides like a dream and feels like your rideing an army tank. Honda nailed it with the 4rt there was no need to add a 300cc kit or mess about with any thing on it.

All i need to do is feed it petrol and give it the odd oil change.

GOOD JOB THEY HAVE FUJI ELSE THAT MAN bOU MIGHT WIN ON ONE.