Water Pump Corrosion

mcharchuk

Out for a long ride today and the water pump started leaking. I took it apart and this is what is there - http://www.ebizviewer.com/2008BetaRev3.jpg .

Can it be saved or should I be getting a new internal clutch cover? It looks like the corrosion has prevented the o-ring to be held in place.

I think the part no is 12-62663-0-67.

Edited by mcharchuk

My '04 Rev3-250 and my '06 Rev3-200 did the same thing. Both bikes were used, I replaced the clutch side case, seals and bearings. I use Honda coolant and replace it often. NEVER dilute with water! The Beta dealer should sell you the parts at costs. Seems to be a common problem.

I wonder if other bikes have the same problem?

It's a very common trouble on Beta's. The cause is that the cover is made in magnesium, and magnesium is one of the most easy materials to be corroded, especially if it's in contact with other metals. It's a problem of erosion-corrosion.

I repaired an old corroded cover and protect another new one. Here you are the pictures:

81978afe.jpg

1c58c1dc.jpg

dd6d83bb.jpg

807b2319.jpg

66d8e92e.jpg

Now, the protection of the new cover.

6dfcd23e.jpg

61de2ed4.jpg

fdceebb7.jpg

f25a03e7.jpg

Saludos

I found the same thing on the used 2003 Rev3 I purchased recently and had to replace the cover. I was told to check for it as it is very common problem with the magnesium. I found it just in time before it ate its way into the engine cavity. To my surprise the worst of it was behind the impeller. It's an easy fix with the new cover and you'll know what needs replacing once you remove it. Mine looked worse than yours and I only needed to replace the seal behind the impeller in addition to the cover. When you replace it stay away from glycol based coolants. I was told a couple brands to use and ended up going with Silkolene ProCool. Also if the bike goes into storage for a long period of time drain it to be safe.

you could try removing the the bit of inner lip thats left with a small file, then when its flat use thick, oil resistant gasket paper and make your own gasket.

I know this is it a bit '' bodge it and scarper'' but if doesn,t work, well it was buggered anyway...

If nothing else it might just get you to winter.