Dodgy Brakes

jordtxt

I've just bought a 2007 gas gas txt 250 pro, took it out yesterday and all is good apart from i have noticed that bpth the front and back brakes feel really poor, they are not sharp at all. i did notice there is a little bit of movement on the disc which i am going to try and sort this week, but does anyone know how this issue could be solved? is it just a case of new brake pads or cud it be something else? the brakes don't sqeek when i press them which i though they would if the pads were on they're way out? and there doesn't seem to be leeks from any of the brake hoses?

thanks

Hi, and Welcome!

A few points; Firstly, there is supposed to be a bit of movement in the disc. Most trials bikes use a floating disc so this is quite normal. If you hold the front brake on and rock the bike backwards and forwards, it should feel like the headstock bearings are loose. This is OK; it's just the disc moving in it's mountings (unless the headstock bearings actually are loose, which is a bad thing!).

Secondly, does the lever feel firm? If it comes back to the bar, chances are the system needs bleeding. If it feels pretty firm, I'd change the pads. You'll find that pads make a huge difference and you can't run them very low before performance drops off sharply. They also don't last long (particularly the rears if you ride in the wet).

So, leave the disc alone, check the lever is firm (if not, search for vbrake bleeding on here), and change the pads.

Graham