Montesa 4rt Tick Over

dougie pumpkin

Hi,

Forgive my ignorance, but how or can you turn down the tick over on my 4rt, it seems to be running too fast, only been out on it twice and to start with it struggled on tick over, i am presuming it was very tight, but ow it seems to be too fast... !st 4 bangere for me and I have not got a clue.. any help is much appreciated.

thanks in advance

Dougie

Dougie,

The tickover is on the right hand side of the bike as you sit on it just under the mudguard infront of the airbox, its a large slotted screw cant miss it. Its important to have the revs high on the Mont I think 1800 rpm which seems way to high when you first get on one, they start easier with high revs and much less likely to stall whilst running loaded rpm in turns etc. If its getting away abit then gear it down so it feels slower to ride. Make sure you have some slack in the throttle as the Mont doesnt like starting with any signs of a whiff of throttle and let the bikes fan kick in before you touch the throttle at all from cold. If you got a standard air filter and flame guard swap it for the Jitsie filter so you can get rid of the flame guard. I usually wash the oil out of a new Jitsie filter and re oil with a small amount of PJ1 filter oil. The Mont doesnt like oily filters and the Jitsie has too much from new. A nine tooth front sprocket works really well on the 4rt, it has loads of gearing range even with a big sprocket change like that, I,ve been running 9/42/43 past two years on mine and it will still go up just about any hill in first.

Have fun they are great bikes

Edited by The Addict

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, though cheap is a matter of opinion.

Many inductive tachs, eg the draper and the ones sold at Maplin don't work on the Mont ignition cable

I use a tiny tach www.tinytachuk.com , makes setting the tickover easy and if you leave it on the bike it records hours run - you can base your oil change regime on this if you wish

Yep, though cheap is a matter of opinion.

Many inductive tachs, eg the draper and the ones sold at Maplin don't work on the Mont ignition cable

I use a tiny tach www.tinytachuk.com , makes setting the tickover easy and if you leave it on the bike it records hours run - you can base your oil change regime on this if you wish

Thanks for that... How much are they approx ? what about the pocket tiny tach, no connections required... how the hell does that work ....

The standard ones work by wrapping a thin wire 3-4 times around the HT lead, the pocket one will probably just have a clip or probe to put against the lead - they are just inductive tachs after all.

Not sure how much they are, I bought the pro as it can be set for any motor, 2T or 4T plus it has a much faster refresh rate on the digital tach, think that was