Kawasaki Kt250 Setup

herman

True, but if you get some taller bars and roll them forward they turn quick enough. As for the rear engine mount there must be a reason why gollner used the same style mount as the stock frame. Im just stating my opinion, the stock bike works well for me so i don't intend to step on anybody elses toes by saying that my way is the right way.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, but if you get some taller bars and roll them forward they turn quick enough. As for the rear engine mount there must be a reason why gollner used the same style mount as the stock frame. Im just stating my opinion, the stock bike works well for me so i don't intend to step on anybody elses toes by saying that my way is the right way.

The forks on my KT (in the distant past) were unpredictable to say the least. Slow tight turns were ok, everything else was "interesting"

Having said that, I liked the bike and would have another one to play with.

• 5 months later...
My 2 cents on setting up a KT to ride well:

1. Get 360mm long shocks on it

2. Extend footpeg mounts down 20mm

3. Install bar adapters that move the bars an inch forwards Roxspeed Bar Risers

This is my bike, and now has these mods and it rides like a dream.

p7240250small.jpg

p7240260small.jpg

Cheers,

Ben

That bike is GREAT!!!! What rear shocks are those? What kind of silencer is that? Have you done fork mods other than springs?

Edited by Trialsin1

That bike is GREAT!!!! What rear shocks are those? What kind of silencer is that? Have you done fork mods other than springs?

Hi there,

Rear shocks are Falcon - 360mm / 60lb springs

Silencer is Sammy Miller TY175

No other mods to the forks

Cheers,

Ben

The spec is '75 donor bike that had 1 owner from new, and had only covered 1000mls!, 1 Gollner framed bike age unknown (thanks Danny!), both stripped and put back together after the Gollner frame was & given modern steering geometry, the rear shock mounts moved (thanks Blissy!), footrests lowered (thanks Wiggy!), alloy falcons, TY mono front forks, YZ490 twin leading shoe front brake (why didn't we do this back in the day? The closest to a disc's power a drum will ever get!) tubeless rims, Talon sprockets, stainless spokes, top yoke bar mounts milled off and welded forward, PWK28 carb, BJ Racing 305cc big bore kit (sold as a power up kit back in the day), Gollner heavy flywheel, Birkett modded port timing, exhaust and reed valve conversion, engine set up by the same (top job! Nearly as good as his works engine in the Suzuki 325) Countless lightweight fixing's, making it lighter than my old Fantic 340 special, and countless hours fettling and fine tuning. I've enjoyed every moment of it's build. It's very powerful, has superb rear suspension, and is a pleasure to ride... which I will try to do much more often! Rode in S. Shrop's club champ last weekend, and THREE KT's were in attendance! Great to see them being ridden more often. I'll take some pics and post when time allows.

, YZ490 twin leading shoe front brake (why didn't we do this back in the day?

Maybe because the YZ490 twin leading shoe front end came out in 1983 which was many years after everyone lost interest in riding KT250s.

YZ490J brake came from '82. I would've loved a brake that worked as well on my '81 Bultaco 325 back then. Somebody must've run one on a trial bike in those days. The 300 Fantic brake with the floating cam work well though.

YZ490J brake came from '82. I would've loved a brake that worked as well on my '81 Bultaco 325 back then. Somebody must've run one on a trial bike in those days. The 300 Fantic brake with the floating cam work well though.

All you would have needed to do in 1982 to get those Yamaha TLS front brakes on your 1981 Bultaco was to find someone parting out their brand new YZ490J - no probs hey.

By the late 1980s you might have done OK getting a YZJ front end because people might have started modifying their old MX bikes by fitting disc brakes to their MX bikes, or they might have been parting them out - but then again by that time you too could have fitted a disc brake to your Bultaco and wouldn't have wanted the TLS YZ front wheel - that is if you still were riding a 1981 Bultaco in the late 1980s!

The main reason people didn't have YZJ TLS front brakes on their old twinshock trials bikes was because they didn't want to spend a squillion $ to improve the front brakes on a bike that would have already been superceded by later model bikes.

The secondary reason for not using TLS front brakes on a trials bike is that they work very poorly going backwards.

''The secondary reason for not using TLS front brakes on a trials bike is that they work very poorly going backwards.''

Excellent!!! Cant add any more to those wise words!

Edited by KT-milly

Rode in S. Shrop's club champ last weekend, and THREE KT's were in attendance! Great to see them being ridden more often. I'll take some pics and post when time allows.

And I can vouch all three KT's rode very well in my section, one thing I did notice with all of them they had loads of induction roar :thumbup: .......never seen a yellow one yet though...love that Kawasaki green though

Edited by Marky G

I've got a full set of gollner yellow tank and side panels etc.... it's a bit too 'in ya face'! \

What section number did you observe Marky? Thats the first multi lap I've ridden for 5 years, really enjoyed it.

I've got a full set of gollner yellow tank and side panels etc.... it's a bit too 'in ya face'! \

What section number did you observe Marky? Thats the first multi lap I've ridden for 5 years, really enjoyed it.

Section 7, ..........good looking chap with an army jacket on (probably couldn't see me ha :thumbup: ).......south shrops hold some good trials, there road trial is a must (august I think?).

That'll be the Longmynd in August... the last trial I rode before last weekend! ( I remember ya... I floundered on the 3rd lap) Top event, fantastic scenery... cost me a rear mudguard though! And they are completely un-obtainable now...