Kickstart Gear Not Disengaging

geordabroad

Hi all

Am rebuilding my bike and am replacing kickstart and idle gears.

I put shaft and new kickstart gear in and found the kickstart and idle gears do not disengage. I wondered whether it was because of distorted spring, but even without rotating the gear counterclockwise to put tension in the spring it still doesn't engage and seems to sit just slightly too high.

It all seems to work alright i.e. if I hold the spring ear , the gear rises up the shaft as I move the kickstart lever around and the gears engage. However, if i move the kickstart back to normal resting position the kickstart gear returns but just doesn't quite disengage from the idle gear.

I've looked at the diagrams, I've looked to see whether the kickstart gear shaft is seating properly in the bearing in the crankcase, the idle gear is sitting properly (thouhg if I lifted it 1mm with something everything would be fine - although it would then probably hit the back of the clutch case)

off to try again, and again, and re-look at the diagrams and re-check everything but not sure what to do... it's completely stopped the rebuild

Ian

Quick update

after much more fiddling I now see thatthe silver metal rounded plate that fits above the spring as a sort of backing plate moves when tensioning thespring. It slides over the circlip at one side (away from where the spring is attached).

When I take it off I can force it back to a horizontal position on the shaft. So that's one problem.

Another is that when the spring is in tension it expands downwards and therefore do not let the kickstart sit fully in the bearing inthe crankcase.

Without spring tension I can now get the kickstart gears to disengage as they should.

Any ideas on how tostop the silver metal pice from moving or howto stop the spring expanding downwards - or should I have bought a new spring?

Ian