Bike Adverts

jordtxt

Hi Jordtxt.

As below from TooFastTim, some people remove carb after every trial/wash.

I am not sure why people do this and from my personal point of view it is a not needed waste of time.

The carb is a fully sealed unit and only has fuel running through it. By removing it each time when you dont need to you 1- run the risk of not getting a 100% seal when you put it back on and could then get water, dirt etc into the carb/jets next time you ride and causing a problem and 2- probably have too much time on your hands. :rotfl:

The only time you should need to remove and do this is (in my opinion)

* if you have water in your airbox from riding/cleaning - this is the way water can get into your carb. No water in airbox = no water in carb - simples!

* If your bike is spluttering / not running right - you could have some water in your fuel or taken dirt into a jet etc

In 19 years of trials riding I have only ever removed and cleaned my carbs a few times a year. Like I said it is sealed and you can check if you have any carb problems by 1- if bike running fine, its fine, leave it 2- 20 second airbox check will tell you if you need to remove carb.

my bike seems absolutely fine with no spluttering etc. i just noticed it in a few adverts and hoped it wasn't a vital bit of maintenence i had been leaving out. but until i start noticing any symptoms i think ill leave it. thanks for your help

Hi, makes perfect sense to me, like I said I am not a bike mechanic / oracle etc etc but as the saying goes - if it aint broke dont fix it.

Some people will disagree, however I have seen and heard bikes that do the carb after every ride and they have sounded dog rough.

I suspect also that many of the people advertsing that they have done this have probably not actually done it this frequently, however the may feel that a perspective buyer will view their bike as being highly maintained and therefore better than another bike.... I personally would think the opposite but again that's just my opinion.

The gasser with the Dellorto carbs generally run brilliantly (from a carb point of view) so I wouldn't fiddle.

You will find many different suggestions and attitudes on almost every aspect bike ownership, maintenance, riding etc etc on this forum, the key is to do what you feel is needed to keep you and your bike at its best.

Welcome to the sport, good bike choice - enjoy!