Kick Start Trials

gordo

Sadly not. Some seem glad to see those days gone, but maybe it's just nostalga on my part but I have very fond memories of those days even if I realised it wasn't really "trials" as we knew it. Even people I knew outside of trials at the time enjoyed this show.

The series ran for many years.

Wayne....

Dont get me started on kickstart, we could be here for hours. Im currently writing a rather large piece on the history of the show which im hoping to get published, still missing a few names from my list of winners of the junior show (79,80,85,87) but otherwise nearly complete. Also have nearly all the series on video/dvd.

Would be greatfull for any info people could give me how ever small. Cheers

P.s Kickstart ran from 1979 to 1988 with a junior version lasting until 1991. The first two series were filmed in the grounds of donnington park before it moved to easton neston near towcester. It was presented by ex blue peter presenter Peter Perves with words of guidence provided by Mick Andrews, Jack Stites and later John Lampkin.

Riders had to complete a set course in the quickest time possible and were awarded 20 second time penalties for putting there foot down, The quickest rider with the fewest faults was the winner. The 1988 series was run over a slightly different format with adult riders being paired with schoolboys in a pro/am competition. Many top names in british and world trials have competed in kickstart over the years.

The course still exists today and has hardly changed in nearly 30 years.

adam

List of Kickstart winners for those who are interested...... :rolleyes:

Adult

Edited by KICKSTART101

I've just been looking at the TMX's from the first two years & the sections look very different from what was done later at Easton Neston, which is how I'd think most of us remember Kickstart. Typical TMX though, 1979 massive spread, 1980 next to nowt.

Why is it that nowadays we predominantly get ball chasing "sport" it even dominates news prgrammes . Kickstart did interest and inform many people that our sport exists.. ok it wasn't truly representative of proper trials but at least tv gave it airtime AND we ern't portrayed as speed freaks /nutters/wildlife killers etc etc. It would be interesting to hear from those past entrants exactly what the "deal" was to perform and any behind the scenes memories/stuff. It would be nice to think that the ACU was courting the tv companies with a view to improving the general public's awareness of trials as a gentlemans sport. Just to use an example of what I think would benifit all of us; A trials friend in southern france has a trials riding mate who is the mayor of the town..... because of fire risks all landowners have to keep woodland clear of dead wood etc..... the mayor has "brokered" deals by which my friend and others clear out the dead wood in exchange for riding the sections they just cleared of dead wood etc.The land is superb trials land (google Trials club de Falais probably spelled that wrong ). Relating this to Kickstart ... it seems to me that kickstart did a lot more for trials in the perception of the public than anything since and that it is perception that opens doors for us. Reading this over it really is a load of Bo***cks (frightfully badly composed sentiments old chap as Ralph Venebles might have put it) but then it might stimlate some conversation.

Why is it that nowadays we predominantly get ball chasing "sport" it even dominates news prgrammes .

Easy because it generates huge amounts of money, from little Johnny wanting the hugely over priced replica kit through the season ticket revenues, the prices paid for so called top players etc etc etc. Then there is all the spin off trash that comes with it. Lots of us remember Kickstart but that was then, this is now and you have the big game shoved down your throat whether you want it or not in one form or another.

Easy because it generates huge amounts of money, from little Johnny wanting the hugely over priced replica kit through the season ticket revenues, the prices paid for so called top players etc etc etc. Then there is all the spin off trash that comes with it. Lots of us remember Kickstart but that was then, this is now and you have the big game shoved down your throat whether you want it or not in one form or another.

Quite True, some time ago I got this response from Peter Purves.

"The problem we had back in 1990 when the show ceased to be, was that the sponsors just weren't around. We had lost Norwich Union, and struggled on with Lombard Tricity and when they pulled the plug the promoter, Nick Brittain decided enough was enough. It was quite expensive to stage, although it all took place over one weekend, and the sums wouldn't add up. I would love it to return, and I agree that the Arena trials format is a bit dull, even though the prowess of the riders is to be applauded. The writing was on the wall when Jean Pierre Goy started demonstrating some of the tricks of Arena riding to the rest of the competitors during a recording of the show in 1985, I think. Within moments, everyone was doing the same tricks (rather well, I have to add). Kickstart and Junior Kickstart were great cult shows, but I think they had run their course. It was getting ever more difficult to provide natural and open-air obstacles to tax the ever-growing skill of the competitors."

Not likely to find sponsors these days and thats almost a dead cert! Nick Brittain the man behind it died a few years ago as far as I know.

Wayne....

Edited by wayne_weedon

The Jean Pierre Goy demo was in 1984 not 85, the pictures are on my kickstart group on facebook.

Kickstart was always going to have a limited shelf life, People say they should bring it back, yes that would be good but realistically your not going to get the likes of Bou, Raga, Fuji etc to ride around a field over a VW Beatle, through a skip filled with water and give the winner a

Adam

He did say "I think" :rolleyes: He's not going to remember every detail obviously just like I can't. But it's good that he has fond memories of it too.

One idea could be for clubs to become interested in running this sort of thing at regional shows etc, it's certainly been done in the past. I do think the public at large probably dont realise that our bikes not not quite like noisy MX bikes and anything that dispells certain stereotyping is good.

Wayne....

Its great that peter does still remember it, when i spoke to him he did admit that his knowledge of the show is not what it used to be, this was evident when reading his recent book.

If only i new how to post pictures on here i would put some up from the J.P Goy demo.

Certainly dont see why some clubs couldnt get some arena trials going again, would be great.