Frame Replacement/repair...

tombo46

My frame recently broke either side of the rear shock (the bent tubular peices) on my 08 pro, does anyone know if this can be welded and will it be strong enough? if not, how much would I be looking at for a new 08 frame or 09 frame as a rough guide?

All the best

Tom

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Isn't all the showcasing at world rounds etc about telling us that these bikes are best for jumping off 8 foot ledges etc. let us know how you get on with your complaint nice to hear that sherco are offering good service we all know that beta offer excellent after sales service.

My frame recently broke either side of the rear shock (the bent tubular peices) on my 08 pro, does anyone know if this can be welded and will it be strong enough? if not, how much would I be looking at for a new 08 frame or 09 frame as a rough guide?

All the best

Tom

Jeez Tom, they beef up the swing-arm...then look what happens...There's two ways GasGas are going to deal with this:

No.1.''It's a competition vehicle Sir,there's no guarantee with them''...blah.blah.

or

No.2.''Adam clearly demonstrates to the world that these vehicles can handle such drop offs..please step into the office and we'll see what we can do for you Sir...''

Good luck Tom,I hope you get a No.2 out of them :rolleyes:;)

The material of the frames is quite weldable. Can be done with Mig or Tig style, although I would suggest you seek out a qualified pro for suggestions and or possible reinforcement in the break area.

Are there any qualified aircraft welders in your area that do such things as engine mount repairs and such, or race car guys that are skilled with the Tig torch? Stay away if one wants to do it with the gas rig. It can be done, but? :rolleyes:

The material of the frames is quite weldable. Can be done with Mig or Tig style, although I would suggest you seek out a qualified pro for suggestions and or possible reinforcement in the break area.

Are there any qualified aircraft welders in your area that do such things as engine mount repairs and such, or race car guys that are skilled with the Tig torch? Stay away if one wants to do it with the gas rig. It can be done, but? :rolleyes:

Copey's right. The MIG will work well but it's hard to beat a TIG in the right hands (and the welds are usually much cleaner). The frames are Chromoly, so make sure the welder knows that. A gas welder creates too much heat in the outlying areas and a TIG concentrates it just in the weld area and is my favorite way to weld.

A CAW (certified aircraft welder) is really hard to find but they are the absolute experts. I had a friend who was one and just for fun he showed me his skill one time by TIG welding a razor blade to a short length of railroad track. You had to see it to believe it.

Jon

Copey's right. The MIG will work well but it's hard to beat a TIG in the right hands (and the welds are usually much cleaner). The frames are Chromoly, so make sure the welder knows that. A gas welder creates too much heat in the outlying areas and a TIG concentrates it just in the weld area and is my favorite way to weld.

A CAW (certified aircraft welder) is really hard to find but they are the absolute experts. I had a friend who was one and just for fun he showed me his skill one time by TIG welding a razor blade to a short length of railroad track. You had to see it to believe it.

Jon

Jon, I have all three in my shop, the Tig works well, but sometimes I do not! On a standard repair, I would not hesitate to burn in a good Mig repair, nothing wrong with that either!

Point being, get a good welder, I am not! :rolleyes:

Tombo46,

If you do need to weld it and don't personally know anyone in Sheffield area, phone up the guys at TWI (The Welding Institute) - Cambridge area I think, but google it and they will put you in touch with a (local) welder who has the right code's for this type of welding - good luck

Jon

That's a bold claim!

I'm not doubting you though.

Sorry to hear about that Tom, knowing GasGas UK though, they will probably just tell you where to go, i recently had a Cracked Radiator on mine, but GasGas UK wouldn't do anything about it, had to buy a new one Instead!

See if you can get it welded somewhere.

Cheers,

Ben.

spoke to craig robinson, he had one crack in the same place and said it can be welded no problem. going to take it to him next week and hopefully pick it up saturday when I go to the GG test day =]

Thanks people.

Tom