Training Wheels

gerald29

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to decide if training wheels are a good idea or not.

With such a low seat height the kids can just drag their feet for stablity while at the same time get the feel of the bike leaning when cornering. On the other hand training wheels get them up on the pegs from day one, but them you have to ween them off the training wheels.

Any thoughts?

Edited by xr_ated

I used axel mounted training wheels for my 4 year old daughter and would recommend them definatley at that age. We spent loads of evenings on the pavements around the housing estate we live on and after a while i noticed my daughter was leaning to stay level as the contours of the pavement changed.After a few months i took the training wheels off and straight away she just rode off like it was second nature! remember that by this time she had mastered throttle and brake control while not having to worry (or be put off by) falling over and hurting herself.

Just be a little carefull with training wheels though - they are ok at low speeds , under say 5-6 mph , any faster and the cornering can be a little hairy as the training wheels tend to try and flip them over the high side.

• 10 years later...

• 1 month later...
On 10/24/2009 at 9:27 PM, pete_scorpa3 said:

I've been using rear mounted ones on my four year old daughters 12.5 Oset. She can ride without them on larger open areas but still uses them in the tight confines of my small back garden.

TabsonOSET21-8-08.jpg

Modelled here by her younger sister.

Hi, these just look like regular bicycle ones? Just tried fitting a cheapo pair and they started bending with just the weight of my hand on the bike so removed them.