Rev50 Tickover On Choke.

suzukitc120

Hello hope you can help me Ive just bought a rev 50 and when the bike is started on choke from cold it fires up and revs like mad so a quick off flick of the choke and the motor dies back down on with the choke and up she revs again so by playing with this you can get it warmed up enough to reset the tick over and be able to ride it. I do have a fantic which does something similar but on a much less dramatic scale. Am I missing something basic, I have checked and the cable is not nipped or the slide isnt sticking I did read that Betas did have a few carb problems was this issue one of them, Im going to have to sort it as its frightening the life out of the lad. many Thanks John

I don't think the Beta carb problems - ie leaking fuel through - extend down to the 50 & 80cc models. I've had 2 x 250's (2003 & 2006) and did the carb mods on the 2006.

I've also had a 2003 50cc and a 2003 80cc for my son - both of which ran rich and ended up spluttering oil through the exhaust pipe which would spit out onto the mud guard and drip down onto the swinging arm from the joint into the silencer.

In both cases, I re-packed the silencer, dropped the needle, adjusted the mixture screw, swapped to an Iridium plug and went onto Castrol synthetic 2-stroke oil. This made the motor run much cleaner (and better.) I can't really remember the tick over being a problem though.

My youngest son had an '06 125 Rev3 and it had a Dellorto carb fitted as standard, it used to rev high on the choke from cold, and as you say I "feathered" the choke lever until it would run without.

It's a bit nerve racking to say the least!

Big John