Montesa Kickstart

shercomike290

Hi just wondering are there still issues with the kickstart and engine casing on the 08 mont 4rt. Just bought one, and a bit concerned because a friend of mine has had two 05 monts and both have had the casing crack caused by the kickstart. Hope someone can help . Cheers mike mc. :thumbup:

This was a problem on the 05's 4RT's, it happened with my dad's old mont where it kicked back & ended up with the casing broke inside, the problem was resolved on the 07 bikes (i think), by using a new camshaft which prevented it from happening.

Cheers,

Ben.

It isn't necessarily a kickback that caused it. My 05, which I bought new and which came from the factory with the fix, broke without a kickback. On the first 05 models, the bolt that held the kickstart stop plate in place inside the clutch was too soft and the head could break off the bolt. Once this happened the stop plate was no longer fixed in place and the kicksart would return too far. The fix was to fit a high tensile bolt that wouldn't break. Instead, on mine at least, the kickstart constantly returning against its stop must have chipped away at the lug housing the bolt and eventually the bolt just ripped out of its cracked housing causing a bit of a mess, fortunately fixed under warranty with a replacement engine.

I'm no engineer but the kickstart stop didn't look a particularly strong design to me when surveying the aftermath. I've no idea what they could do to cure it though as it would mean a redesign, although you don't seem to hear of it happening to bikes later than the 05.