Rim Tape Fitting

godzilla

I split my rear tyre the other day and managed to dislodge the rimtape air leaking from a few spokes so i have decided to have a go and replace the rimtape myself. can anyone gove me any tips as this will be the first time i have done this. do i need to put the rimtape on dry or do i use tyre soap? do you use sikaflex or silicon? Any tip would be helpfull.

Do a search old boy....I'm sure there has been a mass-debate :thumbup: on this subject before.

I think the outcome :) was;Tc members were in one camp or the other ----- New tape (dry) vs old tape (with sealant).

I bought a gallon of tire installation lube. It is slick as snot and worked very well to install the rim strip and tires as well. You might run by a tire shop and see if they will give or sell you a little bit. I figure the gallon I bought will last me for over a century.

Stretch it over with soap or lube. make sure it has even stretch all the way around as you settle it in to the grove. You will have to work your way around the rim tape so that it is neatly tucked into the extruded grove. The seal, i feel, is where the tape sides seal against the rim extrusion. Someone else said it....... CLEAN...... it needs to be clean.

Look on the Ryan Young USA web site, he has a link to show how to install rim tape correctly.

Good luck, you need to intall the valve stem first, then go from there. Most problems is air leaking around the stem and rim tape.

The stem is easier if you use the new bonded type.

Work away from the stem both ways, and don't try to stretch it to much. little by little and get the edges in with a bubble in the middle sometimes.

With lube, i like weak soapy water.

Edited by Nigel Dabster

I split my rear tyre the other day and managed to dislodge the rimtape air leaking from a few spokes so i have decided to have a go and replace the rimtape myself. can anyone gove me any tips as this will be the first time i have done this. do i need to put the rimtape on dry or do i use tyre soap? do you use sikaflex or silicon? Any tip would be helpfull.

I like to use vaseline when Im "rimming", this is the technical term for applying the rim band.