250f Titanum Back Box

thespikeyone

Hello folks,

The back box on my 250F has, for the second time snapped at the mounting lugs leaving a hole in the bottom. I got it welded before but since it has gone again I was thinking of getting a titanium one but can't find one. Not even from mitani. Anyone know where I can get one? or know where I can get one made?????

Cheers

Spike

Hello folks,

The back box on my 250F has, for the second time snapped at the mounting lugs leaving a hole in the bottom. I got it welded before but since it has gone again I was thinking of getting a titanium one but can't find one. Not even from mitani. Anyone know where I can get one? or know where I can get one made?????

Cheers

Spike

You must have some special RAF bits and bobs lurking about :guinness:

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 250f T-Ride, what is a back box in a SY 250 f ?, show me some pics, Maybe I can help, I have made several Titanium parts for my T-ride replacing steel axles, large bolts etc. I am a Aero Structure Engineer, so I understand various grade of Titanium better than most people.

By back box I mean the rear exhaust muffler. Tried lots of places round here and they say it's too expensive so i'll prob just get the one I have repaired

Ok, so Exhaust Muffler is a Back Box...I dont have a SY250F.. but it seems like the muffler is made from aluminium, So if it breaks at the fitting/bracket two times.. then something wrong with the mounting... either Engine Vibration have no where to be dampened or there are internal stresses due to the thermal expansion being held back bay the muffler brackets. Aluminium have larger thermal coefficients and more prone to Metal Fatigue.. Changing it to Titanium will only improve very little. But checking your bracket mounting and probably puttinga all bracket in a rubber grommets will help more.

Too right Volcano Man

Standard the bikes have a deep cherry coloured fibre washer on both sides of the bracket. These often get lost early on in the piece and never replaced. Hence no vibration isolation, and eventually fatigue cracks. Also caused by big fat arses sitting down too much on the guard, hey but that's another story.

After you have repaired your original box put it back as the factory intended with a fat fibre, or rubber, washer each side of the frame tab clamped between the clip nut and bolt head. Small part but it's there for a reason.

good luck.

arnoux