Thinking Of Changing? Nr Salisbury

nadder

Hi,

I used to race a bit of MX but been on the road for the past few years - I want to get back to off road as its much more fun! Thinking of either enduro or a trials bike (road legal) which I can scoot off across the many (legal) byways we have around here and mess about.

So is there anyone who rides anywhere near here and can recommend places to me? I've seen a few groups of people heading off!

I also am not sure on whether to go 2 or 4 stroke? How long would a fuel of tank last roughly?

Any information greatly received!

Thanks

Edited by Nadder

please read this weeks forum Re Mike Rapleys weekly bit

Have done thanks, but didn't really answer my questions! just want to know the most suitable between 2 and 4 stroke as not ridden a 4 stroke trials bike and is their anyone riding around Salisbury?

With reference to his article, I also MTB and am very respectful with regards to the countryside and take care to leave as I find it wherever possible, this would of course extend to trials and enduro! I should add that I go to great pains to ensure I am riding legally, I have no time for illegal riding!

Edited by Nadder

A trials bike won't be all that pleasant to use a a trail bike and an enduro bike isn't really much good as a trials bike.

That said, something like a Montesa 4RT would be ok for a spot of trail riding or there are plenty of trail bike trials that you can ride in if you get an enduro bike.

Of course you can always get a hybrid like the Beta Alp or a Scorpa T ride which could do both, but excell at neither.

I guess this hasn't been much help, other than to recommend that you try to get a ride on both types of machine and see which you like the most.

Pete

A trials bike won't be all that pleasant to use a a trail bike and an enduro bike isn't really much good as a trials bike.

That said, something like a Montesa 4RT would be ok for a spot of trail riding or there are plenty of trail bike trials that you can ride in if you get an enduro bike.

Of course you can always get a hybrid like the Beta Alp or a Scorpa T ride which could do both, but excell at neither.

I guess this hasn't been much help, other than to recommend that you try to get a ride on both types of machine and see which you like the most.

Pete

Thanks Pete, I only wondered as I saw these guys heading off along a byway on trials bikes and it seemed like a bit more socialable than screaming along on an enduro bike - I'd like to explore at the same time as stopping for a play if somewhere acceptable turned up!

Hi Nadder,

I went for a 4 stroke for trail riding, a big 530 KTM as it has massive torque and is good on the road as well as the green lanes (important as in my experience (in the cotswolds) lots of road work inbetween lanes to keep legal and big 4 stroke is best.) I have seperately a sherco 250 2 stroke for trials which is road reg but just wouldn't use this for trail riding.

Interesting while looking for a new trials bike for my son, I went to Haven which must be near you (just outside warminster) and they had a montesa 4rt which they had modded for the dawn to dusk with different gearing, wheels long range tank etc which they claimed had performed really well, maybe a viable option??? Having seen it, would much prefer this to a scorpa long ride or similar. however don't think you can beat decent 4 stroke for trail and 3 stroke for trails - but my opinion.

Hi, Thanks for the info I'll see if I can check out the bike you mention I think I would prefer either one or the other rather than a combination of the two! I think i'll get a trials bike as they tend to be a bit cheaper - if I like it then I will stick with it, if not I can change to an enduro! Unfortunately I love motorbikes and would quite happily have a sports bike, tourer, mx bike, enduro, trials...the list goes on!!

Hi Nadder

I'm assuming with a name like that , that you are somewhere near the Nadder, I'm north of Salisbury, near Middle Wallop, just started Trials again after 35 years. I joined Waltham Chase club, very nice people. if you want to check them out, there is a trail this Sunday at Hut Hill near Winchester, the map to the venue is on the Waltham Chase website

good luck and all the best